Forty Three. i'm relentlessly upset

Forty Three.   i'm relentlessly upset

      There's something terrifying about the rage of a teenage girl

There's something terrifying about the rage of a teenage girl. It contradicts with the love they have in their hearts. They battle each other until one takes charge of the other. Dylan had a lot of love in her, a lot of care and endearment, much like her mother. But her rage was that of her fathers. He was a lawyer, a master of his own words. He was intelligent. But the rage came with his job; defending the best and worst kind of people even when he didn't want to. He had encountered the awful things these people did and he still had to do everything in his power to defend them.

That's where the rage comes in.

Dylan and Logan were practically the same. They loved deeply to the point it made them angry. Logan was a man who put his family above everything. He would take a bullet for his children and his wife. But there were days he still thought about his best friend and the fallout they had before he went searching for the Royal Merchant. He regretted the argument every day. He was reminded of it every time he was with John B.

Now, he wasn't going to let the same thing that happened to Big John happen to him.

When Dylan told him about what happened to John B, the anger he felt towards her shifted to the police department. The lawyer in him came out. He knew the truth. John B was a kid, a kid he'd known since he was born. There was no way he was capable of doing something as horrible as murder.

"Your honor, is it fair to ask where the proof is that Mr. Routledge was the one that killed Sheriff Peterkin?" Logan announced in the court room. He raised his arms and looked around. "That's a fair question, right?" He asked rhetorically. "Because in the timeline of this whole event, I have not seen or heard one piece of evidence that Jonathan is the one who shot Susan Peterkin."

Dylan sat close to Pope and her arm wrapped around his. She felt as if she couldn't breathe the entire trial. Her father was a smart and tactical man but it was clear that the judge and jury was against John B. It was an unfair game.

"Mr. Jennings, at this point in time, evidence is not pertinent compared to everything else that Mr. Routledge has done," the judge dismissed his argument. 

Logan held up a finger. "Ah, but that's not exactly true. According to the United States Attorney of Justice, a case without evidence is just considered hearsay," he continued. "Nobody here actually witnessed the death of Sheriff Peterkin except for John B and the Cameron family—" he turned around and faced Ward Cameron, who stared at the man with a hard expression. "—And yet I have seen no attempt to get them on the stand."

"Damn, he's good." Pope whispered.

If she wasn't so nervous, Dylan would have smiled proudly. Her mom and brother sat on the other side of her and her hand was clutched tightly into Ainsley's. 

"Makes me wonder if this is about more than just social class."

"I would hold your tongue, Mr. Jennings." The judge warned.