18| Just listen to me once

"Nitya, please stop crying," Arushi whispered, rubbing my back in an attempt to calm me down

I clung to her tightly. My tears were soaking into the fabric of her shirt. I couldn't stem them. My mind was flooded with memories from university, each one more gut-wrenching than the last. I had never imagined that I would experience such a day. 

I was wishing desperately for someone to shake me awake from this nightmare or reassure me that none of it had really happened. But, the horror of the incident was only growing more certain with each passing second. The tears streaming down my face, the pounding of my heart, and the gnawing terror in my gut—all were undeniable proof that it had truly occurred.

Everything was perfectly ordinary when I stepped into the university premises. The familiar hustle and bustle, the commencement of lectures, and I, lost in my own world. Nothing was out of the ordinary.

But fate had a different plan in store.

"Arushi, there's something off," I muttered in a barely above whisper voice. "Why do those men across from us keep staring in our direction continuously?"

"Hmph," Arushi paused mid-bite of her sandwich and turned to follow my gaze towards the men. 

The second they caught us watching, they quickly looked away, acting all interested in their own conversation.

"No doubt, mere jackasses," Arushi cursed under her breath, taking another bite of her sandwich. She handed me a can of juice before flicking her eyes briefly towards the men. "Don't give them the satisfaction of your attention."

I did as she instructed and resumed eating my meal but I couldn't shake off the unease. A girl walked by our table all the while tossing a sneer in my direction.

What was the meaning of this strange behavior? Had something happened of which I was unaware?

One of the men from the group got up and made his way over to us. He stopped right in front of me, and I could feel Arushi's gaze shifting towards him, her eyes narrowing suspiciously.

I nervously looked up at him to understand his intentions. I didn't even know him, so why was he here?

"Is it true?" he drawled, a smirk spreading across his face. "You like the attention that much? How about me, gorgeous? You won't have to lift a finger, just become my girlfriend and I'll shower you with my wealth." His words were lewd and I felt my skin crawl in disgust.

"You piece of filth," Arushi snarled. Rising from her chair, she stood beside me. "How dare you speak to her like that? Stay away from her, and get back to your seat, or I'll personally ensure you lose something dear to you. Maybe I'll make earrings out of your testicles and hang them from your earlobes." The threat was clear in her voice, and I could see the anger blazing in her eyes.