13| I can't take that risk

No matter how hard I try to stand strong, life has a way of hurling unexpected incidents that leave me feeling weaker than ever before

No matter how hard I try to stand strong, life has a way of hurling unexpected incidents that leave me feeling weaker than ever before. I have never wronged another, no matter how unjustly I've been treated. So why must I endure these trials? Why? Why, must life be so cruel?

I've been lying here on my bed for the last twenty minutes, my face buried in the pillow, my body wracked with sobs. No matter how hard I try to steady myself, my heart and mind refuse to let go of that damned incident.

It was the last thing I expected, after weeks of silence. I thought he was gone, that I could finally breathe easy again. But then, in the library, what he did... it shook me to the very core.

It was like a nightmare come to life, a messed-up scene that felt like it had a grip on me, refusing to let go. And now, my heart's pounding with fear like crazy, like a vice squeezing tighter and tighter until I can hardly catch my breath. .

My brain was all over the place, a jumbled mess of confusion with no clear solution in sight. Should I confide in Arushi and Virat?  Or would dumping my problems on them just suffocate them too? The more I think, the more I feel trapped in a suffocating darkness.

Dragging myself out of bed, I stumbled to the bathroom and flicked on the shower. Peering at my reflection in the fogged-up mirror, I noticed my eyes were swollen and red from endless tears.

I used some eyedrops to relieve the puffiness and redness. 

I climbed back into bed and allowed myself to drift off into a restless sleep, hoping that some rest would help ease the worry that had been consuming me.

I was oblivious to the passage of time until faint voices reached my ears.

The banging and calling of my name didn't seem to stop. "Niu, open the door. Niu?" I could hear the voice clearly on the other side.

Rubbing my eyes and shaking off the sleep, I groggily checked my watch. Two whole hours had vanished. Groaning, I dragged myself out of the comfy cocoon of my bed and shuffled towards the door.

Maa and Arushi were standing there.

"Thank God, you've unlatched this door, otherwise I would've had to turn into the Hulk and smash it down," Arushi proclaimed dramatically as she walked into the room and plopped down on my bed.

I turned to my mother and noticed the lines of worry upon her forehead. "Are you okay, Niu?"

I smiled at her. "Yes, Maa. I was just tired. Now, after a nap, I am perfectly fine."

I attempted with all my might to conceal any trace of stress etched upon my face. Revealing the truth to her would only sit up problems, and nothing more.

"Alright, you two sit down and talk. I'll go cook something in the kitchen," she tenderly caressed my face before exiting the room.

I firmly closed the door and took up seat next to Arushi who was wholly absorbed in the inspection of my room.