I don't know how long we walked in the woods for. Were Alice and I so far off course? Damn! My feet began to ache from all the scattered rocks and rutted ground.

"Shitballs," I grumbled. I couldn't see shit in front of me and kept lagging behind. It wasn't like anyone was freaking helping me as I struggled with my suitcase, since I had to carry my own damn luggage. A fact I couldn't get over when checking two brawny men walking with no hassle! This was just peachy, I thought. Obviously, Brett's family or friends or whatever the fuck those guys weren't gallant in the least.

Brett and the two men kept alert all throughout the brisk walk. Watching out in the woods. Breathing in deep through their noses. Scanning from left to right. Glancing at each other at times. It was odd. But I didn't bother thinking about it too hard as I battled to get my suitcase down a small, jarring hill.

Finally, a piece of land came into view. We were close to Brett's home. Thank goodness! The two men melted to the side as they gave a heads up to Brett, nodding their departure. I looked at the clearing and it wasn't what I had expected. I couldn't make out much in the dark, but the little that I did revealed a few cabins scattered on the large grounds and two massive houses. Brett led the way to the one that stood the tallest. It looked like an enormous lodge. Probably Brett's family home. The lodge was nestled against the backdrop of the woods, surrounded by towering pine trees, blending seamlessly with its surroundings. The outside lamps were lit up and it flaunted the lodge's vastness. I looked up at the three-story building.

Brett nodded at three more men roaming about the grounds. Alice smiled cheerily at them, and they acknowledged her with a tight expression. But when their firm eyes met my gaze, nothing but sneers greeted me.

I returned an unsure stiff smile, dashing up to Alice as their unsettling eyes followed me. I followed Alice up the terrace as Brett opened the large, heavy wooden door. He smiled at Alice and beckoned her in, carrying her suitcases. Alice entered, and he walked behind her. I stood at the foot of the opened door. Was I supposed to come in or what?

I cleared my throat to receive a fucking invitation. Alice stopped admiring the décor and spun around to me. She waved me in, biting her bottom lip. "C'mon in, Zoey." She smiled. Brett turned around and huffed, keeping silent as he looked away. I walked in reluctantly, tugging my suitcase over the piece of carpet at the entrance.

The only inviting thing that greeted me was the smell of fresh pine. The lodge inside had a rustic charm with a high vaulted ceiling. The furniture was all wood with deep red cushions. A warm glow of a massive, stoned fireplace lit-up, illuminating the main spacious floor and the open and large living room. The lodge had a huge dining area, and a fully equipped kitchen from what I could make out. The walls were made of dark wood paneling. Large windows lined the walls, providing views of the surrounding forest. It was unfortunate you couldn't see it at night.

Jeez, I've never been inside a place this big. My eyes wandered with my head darting around.

"Alice," Brett boomed. "You're staying in my room," he smirked, and Alice giggled, playfully touching his shoulder, that quickly turned into a deep caress as she gazed suggestively at him.

"I would want it no other way," she cooed.

My eyes caught the fondling, and I rolled my eyes. These two better get a room. I pushed my way forward, meeting them, determined to make my damn presence known, as my eyes glanced between the two. "Where do I sleep, Brett?" My eyes were steely on him with a serious expression.

Brett looked sideways at me, like he didn't want to give me his full attention. "I didn't expect you to bring company," he griped and looked at Alice.

But Alice pouted and touched his arms. "Be nice," she teased.

He grumbled and finally gave me eye contact. I gave him a glare with narrowed eyes. If he wanted Alice as his damn girlfriend, he'd fucking better be nice and welcoming! A mini stare down took place. But shit could Brett glower. I gulped and failed horribly as I darted my gaze away. His amber eyes were way too foreboding.

It clearly satisfied him. "You can have the guest bedroom upstairs," he said evenly.

A set of stairs, which was equally impressive, lead up to the second floor as I followed the Alice and Brett. The second level had a long semi-lit corridor and was home to five bedrooms. Brett dropped Alice's luggage.

"Follow me," he said to me with a grimace and walked towards the end of the hall.

"Looks like my stop," I murmured to Alice with a weak smile. I didn't want to show her my discomfort, noticing her concern.

"I'm sorry about Brett's attitude. I'll talk to him. He's just tired and upset I got lost." She said and hugged me. "Tomorrow will be better. You'll see, we'll have fun."

"Yeah, I guess it can't get worse than today," I lightly chuckled.

Brett stood impatiently as I struggled down the aisle. When I made it, he opened the door and nodded to the room. "You can sleep in here for the length of your stay. With any luck, it will be a short one."

"Yeah, you and me both, Brett. But I guess that would be up to Alice," I answered equally even. "Thank you for the room and your warm hospitality." I said with an undertone of sarcasm, but Brett already walked down the dark passage.

I sighed and closed the bedroom's door. I dropped my backpack and parked my suitcase near the single wardrobe. I switched on the light and inspected my new bedroom that I'll be occupying for the next two weeks — I hoped much less. The bedroom was small, decorated with rustic accents and comfortable furnishings. It hosted a single bed near a window and an en-suite plain bathroom with a shower.

I plopped on the bed. At least the mattress was comfortable, and the room was clean. I had no complaints except the hospitality.

It was far from welcoming. I'll call it appalling!

I hoped it wasn't the tone for the rest of the visit here.

I decided not to unpack just yet. Maybe we would leave at a moment's notice and opted to take out a few clothes at a time. After dressing in comfortable shorts and an oversized T-shirt with a huge print of a panda bear, I cuddled up in bed, settling earphones into my ears. Nothing but Billie Eilish's low-end songs filtered softly through.

My mind drifted to yellow eyes that glowed in the dark woods...