Chapter 52: Domovy Brothers

(Wednesday, 5th of Marching Legion Moon, 2021)
Jack was on a hill somewhere in Vita Bergen with evergreen trees scattered around the snow white landscape, dressed warmly to help fight the cold weather. His outfit consisted of snow shoes, warm pants, a camouflage parka, and a beanie. Despite all this, Jack was still shivering from the cold. On the other hand, one of his teammates, Caroline appeared to be perfectly fine wearing just a red sweater, jeans, and sneakers. Meanwhile, Angelo was just wearing his usual outfit. Othelia was inside of her mech, so she wasn't affected by the cold. Jack's other teammates, Saorise and TJ, were shivering just as much as he was as the group trudged on through the snow.

"This is great weather." Simo looked up at the cloudy gray sky, letting snow fall onto his face. "I feel like I could shoot 15...no, 30 Russians in this weather."

"What the hell is a Russian?" Jack asked while Jojo rested on his chest, poking its head out from the hole above the zipper. "How much further do we have to walk?"

"Just a couple more meters." Othelia answered from her mech. "The place we'll be entering has an invisible dome around it, so we can't see it until we enter the dome."

"Then how the hell are we supposed to know when we enter the dome then?" Jack asked in a somewhat annoyed tone of voice.

"The employer said we'll know when we cross." TJ answered, and to Jack, that answer was absolutely unhelpful.

Before Jack could complain about it, the air suddenly became warm and welcoming, completely contradicting the cold and harsh wasteland everyone was just in. Jack focused on his surroundings and he saw that everyone was in a clear dome of magic, with warm and soft grass right below them and something like a sun at the top of the dome, giving everything warmth. The top of the dome extended straight up at least 30 meters up, and slowly curved down around the area, like a giant bowl. In the middle of this dome, there was a massive tree, and in this tree was a massive tree house.

"Well, looks like they were right." Saorise removed her hood and pulled her hair out of her jacket. "I think this is the place."

"Hey, the bark on that tree kind of looks like a person with antlers, doesn't it?" Simo pointed at the base of the tree, and Jack couldn't see that far.

"Sometimes, I wonder if your vision has been surgically enhanced in your previous life." Jack looked at the tree house as he walked towards it. "Lucky for us, this isn't a combat mission, so I don't think your marksmanship skills will be good for today."

"Hey, you never know when an ambush may occur." Simo responded while Angelo walked past the two of them. "Hey Angelo, you didn't say anything throughout the entire mission so far, you alright?"

"Let's just get this over with." Angelo scowled, and everyone else in the ground was thinking the same thing as Simo was.

"What a fun guy!"

With Angelo moving in front, the rest of the group was forced to follow him towards the tree, while Othelia was in the back thanks to her slow moving mech. Despite the fact that this wasn't a combat mission, Jack noticed TJ held one of his glocks, while Saorise had an MG42 machine gun with a box magazine. Caroline was undoing her jacket, revealing a gray t-shirt. Caroline held her jacket whilst brushing her hair back.

"Hey Caroline, how are you able to withstand the cold around here?" Jack asked the girl whilst taking off his jacket, since this environment was surprisingly warm despite being in the middle of Vita Bergen.

"Oh, Whirlwind Rondo allows me to control the weather, so I increased the temperature a bit around me." Caroline answered. "In fact, you have Golden Feast, so you can probably do something similar for yourself."