Broken Dreams

Reanna finally peeled her eyes off the crystal ball, to see a red sky filling the room. It wrapped the walls in different shades of red, the room looked like it was set on fire. Shadows of people were casted on the walls, it appeared that they were trying to get inside. Hands slammed against the stone, animals screech outside, feral noises filled the castle. Reanna curlled her hands into her hair, pulling it down. Her head slamed to the table. She let's out a wail.

"WWHHYY," She cries, to no one particular.

She didn't move as she screamed out her frustration. A figure sits across from her, it's face casted in a shadow. She blinked her eyes but her tears never stopped.

"It has been a few centuries since I have seen someone watch a member of their family for hours.." The figure calmly declared from across the table.

"Why," Her voice was hoarse as she lowered her head.

I did this..

"Why did you kill me?" She quietly asked, glancing up at the figure across from her.

The figure placed his bony hand on the table and leaned forward. Muffled screams fill the castle but she didn't  notice them. Her eyes were on his, trying to search for an answer. As if there was a single world in the universe that could fill the hole in her heart. Her short breath surrounded them, like a bomb about to explode. Death reached his hand out but pulled it back when his eyes landed on his sharp white fingers.

I shouldn't have left that night..
I don't deserve to be in Heaven..

Under the table her fingers dug into her palm, soon she felt liquid on her fingertips. Pain struck her fists, but she didn't care. It was nothing compared to the guilt she felt. The remorse she suffered from choosing to leave him.

Liam's suffering because of me!
It's my fault..

"It is my job," He calmly told her.

"DON'T GIVE ME THAT CRAP! YOU KNEW WHAT YOU WERE DOING!" She shouted, glaring daggers into his dead eyes.

You did this... you killed me

"I do not choose who dies. I simply inform the reapers who they should kill, and assign that soul to their new home."

His gentle voice broke her heart.

"Why?" She questioned through her tears.

"I wish I knew, but I do not,"

"You're a liar," She grumbled, glarring at him.

You know, you have to know

She tried to move her lips, to shout at him but only a whimper escaped.

"I asure you that I am not," He got up, never taking his eyes off her. "I suggest that you stay here for the night, unless you want to kill yourself," He began to walk away but stopped. "You can keep an eye on your family for as long as you want," He left the room.

You killed me, it's your fault. You did this.

Wiping her tears, she looked back at the crystal ball. Frowning at the changes in her brothers room. She hugged herself and traced her fingers against her arm, to calm herself but they did nothing. Reanna watched her brother for the rest of the night. The zombies screams were a lullaby to her ears, bringing a voice to her guilt.

~~~

A gentle breeze blew into the dinning hall, brushing along her tear stained face. Reanna never looked up, entranced by the magic ball. She never moved from her seat, watching her brother with tearful eyes and a shameful face. It wasn't until her brother fell asleep, that she finally sat up. The morning sun blazed through the room.