Chapter 2

POV: Lacey

I just got back home from a run. Now I have to pack up a few things to go stay at Elijah's. Evan is leaving for college this morning. I've left my packing to the last minute. I aways seem to do that. I'm only packing what I need. I can always come back here and get anything else that I need. I'll only be just down the road.

I hate that Evan is leaving today. My birthday is tomorrow. Now my brother and dad is going to miss it. Why can't the lightning pack help itself. Honestly how long does it take to get rid of rogues. Rogues are werewolves without a pack and that are against packs and everything they stand for. They are very wild and untamed.

I'm turning eighteen which means I'll be able to find my mate. Alana my best friend found her mate three months ago on her birthday. His name is Devon. He's Gamma Brandon's son. If Elijah meets his mate or chooses a mate and has pups then Devon will be the next Gamma and Alana's title would be female Gamma Zeta. If Elijah doesn't then they would move up a rank so Gamma would change to beta. Alana and Devon are fully mated. That means they are marked and mated or in other words they bit each other with their canines on a certain spot of the neck and had sex to seal the deal. Most do both at the same time. Some mark before they mate though.

I wonder if I will meet my mate tomorrow. I think that would be nice. I get all my stuff in to my duffle bag and go down stairs to say goodbye to Evan. I walk outside to find Evan putting his bags in his car. "Not planning on leaving without saying goodbye, are you?" I joke. "Ha ha very funny. You know I would never. Are you going to be ok?" He asks me worried. Evan, always the protective brother. "Yes I will be fine as long as you call. Now stop worrying. I'll be with Elijah until dad gets back." I tell him. "I will not stop worrying. I promise to call. Now I have to go. I love you. Goodbye." He says. "OK bye." I tell him. "I'll call when I get settled in and I will see you at Christmas and Thanksgiving." Evan gets in the car waving goodbye.

Now I get to stay in the pack house with Elijah. I've had a crush on Elijah since I was fifteen. I love his messy raven black hair. His sharp jawline with slight stubble. Not to mention the way his abs peek out from his tight shirts. Unfortunately I could never act on it. He's my dad's best friend, my alpha and twice my age. That could never happen. I mindlink him letting him know that Evan just left and I'm on my way to the pack house. The alpha lives in the pack house. In some other packs everyone lives in the pack house but we have housing for each rank and others choose to live in their own homes. Grabbing my duffle bag going to the packhouse Elijah meets my at the front door. "Good morning Lacey" he greets me. "Good morning Alpha." I say back. He shows me to my room. "I'll let you get settled in. I have some business to attend to so I will see you later." He leaves to go back to work.

I put my things away in the room. My room has white walls and hardwood floors. A dresser with a mirror sits against a wall. Theres a window seat with lots of throw pillows. A full size bed with a night stand on each side. A decent size closet and bathroom. All in all its a decent room. I pull the picture frame with a picture of my mom. I was ten when she died. I watched the wolf kill her. There was nothing I could do to stop it. Elijah was the one who found me that night. A bad storm had blown over and mom and I hadn't gotten home yet so my dad and Elijah went out looking for us. I've been afraid of storms ever since that night. Every time it storms I freak out crying remembering that night. I am worried that a storm will hit and Evan and dad aren't here. They always help me get through it. Now they're not here.

I place the photo on the night stand. I miss her so much. I finish putting my things away. I leave some stuff in my duffle bag for my trip to the lake house tomorrow. I'll be back Sunday evening so I can go to school on Monday. I skipped school today so I can get moved in here and say goodbye to Evan. Alana, Devon, and Pheobe will be coming along for the trip. Phoebe is my friend also. She made 18 last month but has not found her mate.

Now that I'm all settled in I go down for some lunch. "Hey Minnie" I say walking in to the kitchen. Minnie is the head omega of the pack. "Hello Lacey. What can I get you?" She asks with a smile. "Um hmm, I would like a grilled cheese with some apples and peanut butter please." She fixes up my food for me setting it down in front of me. I eat my lunch, then just lounge around the house for the rest of the day.