Chapter 7- Dasharatha and Shravan Kumar

"Thank you for dropping us off. Please go back with the other citizens. We will move on now," Rama said to the charioteer.

"Your Highness! Please don't leave us alone," the charioteer implored.

"Sir, I am leaving this place but my soul resides in this land. Please let me fulfil my father's wish. I request you to not to stop me but bless me," Rama replied.

The charioteer just nodded, trying to hold back his tears. Rama smiled at him and started to walk with Sita and Lakshmana deep into the forest.

***

"Kaushalya! I am sorry, my dear. I could never give you or Sumitra the time and love. And yet I have banished your sons. I am sorry, my dear," Dasharatha cried beside Kaushalya.

"Your Majesty! Please don't say so. I am sure you would never imagine to make such decision. But sometimes, circumstances compels us to do things we would never dream of," Kaushalya replied, passing him water.

"No Kaushalya! No! This is my punishment. I must atone for the sins I committed as a young prince."

"What do you mean, Your Majesty?"

He then narrated her the story of that tragic day of his life.

---

Dasharatha rode the chariot into night's veil. The screeching sound of the wheels made the chariot stop. It was the perfect place for him to practice his archery skills. The young prince was skilled in shooting targets just by detecting the sound. He heard gurgling of water from the nearby stream.

"Perfect!" he thought and positioned the arrow at the source of the sound. He released his arrow slickly. But instead of an animal screaming in pain he heard a man's voice. He hurried towards the river and saw a man wounded by his arrow.

"Brahman! What a terrible sin have I committed!" he said, helping the young man sit up.

"Young Prince! Why? Why did you attack me?" the man asked, groaning in pain.

"I had no intention to kill you, Sir! I was just practicing my skills," Dasharatha implored.

"Young Prince! I am Shravan. I am travelling with my parents who are blind. Please take the pot of water to them in the temple nearby. Tell them I am sorry that I couldn't quench their thirst!" Shravan said, his breathing getting heavier and faster with each moment.

"Please don't say such things, Shravan Kumar. Let me take you to the Royal Physician."

"No, please don't. Let me die here. It was written in my fate and I cannot escape from it," Shravan answered, taking out the arrow.

"Go on, Young Prince!" Shravan said, as he closed his eyes. His body became limp in Dasharatha's hands. He filled the pot with water and walked to the temple, shaking.

"Shravan! You are finally here! We were so worried," Shravan's mother said.

"Yes, son. What took you so long? And why aren't you talking?" Shravan's dad questioned.

"Mataji and Pitaji, I am not your son. I am prince Dasharatha of Ayodhya," he said, his head down in shame and guilt.

"Then where is our Shravan, son?" Shravan's mother questioned.

"Mataji and Pitaji, I am sorry. I was here hunting and I mistook someone by the river as an animal and took an aim. But that was your Shravan. I am so sorry," he replied, his voice filled with remorse.

Shravan's mother and father were horrified. They wept and mourned at the loss of their only son. Dasharatha approached them with the pot of water but they refused to take even a sip.

"O Prince! I curse you, that you too get separated from your son and feel our pain of separation. Go away!"

A thunder rumbled across the clouds and lightning crackled at the same time, as if manifesting it. Dasharatha was shocked and trembled with fear.

---

"That's what happened, Kaushalya. The Brahman's curse has come true," he said, sobbing on the carpet. 

|| Hare Krishna Hare Rama ||

P.S. Hey there!! I am sorry for not uploading for past few days. I hope you enjoyed reading this chapter!! I thought it would be nice to plug-in Shravan Kumar's story in this because it's a very important part in Ramayana. Let me know your thoughts in the comments. I hope you will stick with me and the book till the end!!

And please do comment the stories you heard as a child. I would love to include it in the upcoming chapters (also shoutout will be given!!).