Chapter 2- The Swayamvar

Sita's sisters and friends had already settled behind the curtain of the women's balcony. She sat in the middle with her mother. The atmosphere was like a bustling beehive, as the voices of the ladies hummed together in conversation. There was a rumour that in order to choose a groom for Sita, there was going to be a competition, wherein the person had to lift Lord Shiva's Pinaka (bow). Many citizens had gathered and waited with bated breath. King Janaka sat and faced the audience with moist eyes.

The Chief Minister stood up and started, "On behalf of His Majesty, I welcome you all to Her Highness's swayamvar. It is Mithila's great honour to have the mighty kings and princes from across Bharatvarsha and world come here. May God help us in choosing a worthy groom for Her Highness. This is no ordinary Swayamvar, however; it is a test of strength and determination. Whoever can lift the all-powerful Pinaka and string it will, without a doubt, be a worthy groom for Her Highness."

A wave of chatter reflected across the hall amongst onlookers and the kings and princes. King Janaka stood up and said, "I proclaim the Swayamvar open."

King after king stood with boastful confidence and sat with a sorrowful, ashamed face. Almost all of them failed to move the bow even an inch. Guru Vishwamitra smiled softly and asked Rama, the eldest of Ayodhya's princes, to win Sita's hand. Rama bowed to the guru and walked to the Pinaka. It surprised Sita to see the man, whom she thought was a hallucination. She blushed deeply and hoped that he would win her hand in marriage. Rama bowed in reverence to Lord Shiva's Pinaka and lifted it up with ease. He stringed the bow and twang! The bow snapped in two. A serene smile never left his calm and composed face. He glanced at the upper gallery where Sita was sitting. She had blushed crimson red and the twinkle in her eyes made Rama's heart beat faster. The crowd broke into a wave of applause and chatter.

***

The sound of mantras reverberated through the palace, blessing and tying the couple with an inseparable bond. With the holy fire as a witness, Rama and Sita exchanged rings, promising each other trust, loyalty, honesty, respect, friendship, happiness, and unconditional love. The crowd showered them with flowers and blessings. King Janaka controlled his tears with all he had. After all, his ladli was going away. While going through the same painful ordeal, Queen Sunayana patted his back. It wasn't easy for them to part with their precious daughter. Their beloved Sita, whom they raised with the utmost love and care, was leaving. They couldn't believe how quickly their baby Sita had grown up into a strong, kind, intelligent, and courageous woman.

"O re o parevada tu kaale udi jaaj re

Mari haathu rahi jaa ne aaj ni raat"

P.S. The above lines are from Coke Studio's famous song "Laadki." The lines literally translate to:

"Oh, my little birdie, fly away tomorrow

Just be by my side for tonight"

The song wonderfully captures the dialogue between father and daughter. A father's pain of being separated from his beloved daughter is beautifully expressed in this stanza. The song explores their unique bond through its melodic nuances. The lyrics of this stanza are filled with tenderness, expressing the father's heartfelt emotions as he watches his daughter go away. It does so in a way that resonates with the listener, making them feel a connection to the song.

***

|| Hare Krishna Hare Rama ||

P.S. I hope you liked reading this part as well! The last paragraph is an improvisation which I came up with. But like I said, I have changed a few parts just for the story to fit in better. I do not claim this work of mine as authentic. Forgive me for any mistake I may have made. I hope you will stick with me and this book till the end!!❤️❤️