24 | hart in nood

The brides paced around the waiting area, too unnerved to even strike a conversation with each other

The brides paced around the waiting area, too unnerved to even strike a conversation with each other. Rehema, their usual chatter, sat in the corner, circling a finger over her knee, mute as a lamb. Hesi blew a breath and sauntered towards Festophis' slate who have gathered together. None of them had any idea how many trials were left, and by the looks of it, they were like cattle lined up for slaughter.

She understood that fear, that dread. Mensa's yoke had passed to her, and if not for the Mayaware's ridiculous superstition of harming their guests, she would have been eaten by one in her sleep. And Kharta was right. They've run that well dry. Because once the High King has grown desperate, if Hesi was to survive this trial and everything that followed, there's no telling when and how the royal palace would make its move.

Asrate, the High King's slate, sat on the corner opposite Rehema. For a woman almost Hesi's age, if not older, she didn't look like she spent a long while under the sun, nor had she known the feeling of the scorching heat with no roof over her head. Far too dainty, far too perfect, it's no wonder the High King had so much confidence in her. Even when Hesi taught the other brides how to take down a Mayaware, Asrate was the fastest to learn, as if she was merely faking having never held a knife before.

But she's not the enemy. Not by a long shot. She was merely a rival, someone who stood in Hesi's way towards the throne. Because whether Hesi liked it or not, Asrate still held the biggest sway to the prince's decision. Mezo wasn't known to act against his father, not when it was the Empire's future at stake. He wouldn't have spent all his life cooped up in that dingy, guarded cave if he didn't give a flying darpeh about his father.

Hesi caught Asrate's gaze then, as if the other bride sensed Hesi's thoughts. They gave each other brief nods, neither aware of what's going on the other's head. If Asrate knew what Hesi had under sleeve, would she join in or would she run back to her benefactor? Hesi scanned the faces of the brides with her. Which one of them wouldn't bite the first bone the Mayaware generals would offer them should they knew why Hesi was really here and what she has done to the woman who was supposed to be with them instead of her?

She needed to make a move of her own. There's only so much her inaction would do.

"Hesi," a voice coming from the empty chamber's doorway made her turn. Kharta's concerned expression was what drew her from the other brides and towards him. She felt eyes boring into her back, rummaging around her head for any sign that might reveal her relationship and issue with the steward. Would they find evidence of last night on her? She made sure to wash them off her this morning.

Her nails dug on her arm as she came up to Kharta and followed him into a deserted hallway made of rough sketches of stone. Away from the Mayaware guards. Away from unwanted ears from listening in to what conversation was bound to come. Hesi knew what it would be about even without a word from Kharta's mouth.

"What happened last night?" he shoved his fingers into his hair and tousled his curls in such an effortless and elegant manner that she had to look away before she did something...inappropriate. "I can't seem to remember."