12 | diep in het rood

No one questioned her how in Tjarma she knew the way towards the royal palace

No one questioned her how in Tjarma she knew the way towards the royal palace. She didn't even realize the other brides went with her at least until she crossed the trading courtyard and came over to the manicured road leading to the stairs up the front entrance. The royal palace, itself, loomed over her like a damning creature, the dim doorway in the middle of the facade threatening to devour her and never spit her back out.

A crowd of servants, both with onyx scales and fleshy skin, milled by the entrance, muttering to each other in low tones—so low Hesi couldn't hear any legible words, no matter how broken, when she and the other brides came up to the outer rim. She stood on her tiptoes, craning her neck up, but a bald head blocked her view of the darkness beyond. Shapes and scuffles rustled inside, but they weren't enough to tell her what's going on.

"Where did you learn about Mensa?" Hesi turned to Barteset whose braids had started eroding at the edges due to sweat and the run they did. "Who told you?"

The older woman's face clouded over. "I overheard it from the maids," she said. "It's the talk in the palace. Something went wrong."

Which did nothing to calm Hesi's heart. When she entered Berheqt, her assumption was proven wrong again and again. The Mayaware didn't touch any of the brides, not even to turn their heads in hunger when they pass each other by. Hesi had let down her guard, had let her shoulders relax, thinking she was safe inside the capital's walls. But these demons reminded her the terrifying reality in the worst way possible.

Hesi didn't wait for the other brides to go with her. She tore forward, pushing past the creatures, not caring if they were Mayaware who could tear her apart with just a snap of their jaws. She followed the stream of servants hurrying towards a hall she hadn't been to before. The air smelled of iron and sounds of metal slamming against stone echoed in the darkness. Everyone seemed drawn to where the sounds were coming from.

What in Qer's name was going on? Hesi passed by elaborate halls filled with statues and images carved straight into the stone, depicting all kinds of Mayawarean myths and literature. None registered in her mind with it focused on one thing—find Mensa. Find the Mayaware High Prince.

She turned the only corner at the end of the corridor. The volume of the servants increased by the second, trickling towards the single room at the end of the hall. Mayaware soldiers, characterized by golden breastplates over sienna skin and spear shafts held in one hand, flanked both sides of the door.

Strong clangs of metal and screeches of stone could never be louder, with the wooden doors shut over it providing the only barrier between Hesi and the room's contents. Was Mensa inside? Why were they hurting her?

Hesi blew a breath and trudged forward, shouldering her way past the ogling servants who wouldn't plan on doing anything. Her hand crept to the blade she had always concealed behind her. When she got to the end of the line, an arm shot out from the crowd. She turned to find Kharta, giving her a firm shake of his head, warning her to step back, to not do anything. Then, before Hesi could open her mouth to ask a question, he dashed forward.