21 | lemmet om te doden

Hesi's bare feet stumbled after Mezo as they tore through hidden ways around Berheqt

Hesi's bare feet stumbled after Mezo as they tore through hidden ways around Berheqt. It was so covert no one could be seen or heard for miles and miles away. Not even servants. Was Kharta aware of this secret ways?

"Hey, slow down," she called to the High Prince who was several paces ahead. Their distance grew ever so slightly with each passing second. "Don't you know I just healed? I don't even know how long I was in bed."

Mezo turned but stopped as she asked. "A week, at most," he said when Hesi caught up.

"What?" she huffed and clutched her side which was beginning to throb.

"You have spent a week in the healing quarters," Mezo repeated, an eyebrow raised more in question than in mockery. "I am sorry about my pace. Have I caused you pain?"

She gritted her teeth and forced herself to stand upright. "It's no big deal," she said. Through the arches lining the walkway, she only saw the unbridled sky and an expanse of overgrown landscapes. It's no wonder no one knew about this. It's an abandoned area of some sort. "Where are we going?"

The High Prince rolled his shoulders. He had ditched the soldier get-up somewhere between the healing quarters and this roofed pathwalk after making Hesi wait in front of a fountain void of water.

There were times she almost forgot she was gallivanting around with a Mayaware, a demon, and the prince of them, nonetheless, and tonight was one of them. Dressed in a simple shepherd's tunic and cloak with a simple, patterned scarf thrown around his shoulders and his bald head, he could pass off as a merchant who happened to get lost inside Berheqt's maze-like city layout.

That's just how devious Mezo had become since they met.

Hesi lost count of how many times she had to pinch her palms to remind her that Mezo was still a demon, that he was still someone she would be killing sooner or later. And now that they're alone, she could tackle him from behind and slip the poison into his mouth. She could leave him for dead to be discovered by the servants. No one would be able to trace the offense back to her, not when Mezo had isolated himself into a place where anything could happen and nobody would see it.

There's no more perfect chance than this. Hesi was in no position to blow it. She blew a breath as she followed the prince deeper and farther into the corridor. For Pai. For Unsu. Who knew what happened to them in the breeding farm? She has had her fun in this place long enough.

Reality was bound to come crashing after an eternity in fantasy.

"I was going to say 'you will see'," Mezo answered after a while of walking without a word exchanged between them. "But I can't wait that long."

He whipped towards Hesi after shortening his steps a considerable length. "We're going outside," he put a finger to his lips, flashing that lopsided smile characteristic of teenage boys in humans. "It's a secret."