Chapter 4: The Interrogation Part 2

After morning worship service, Me and Dre stood outside of the church, wrapped in each other's arms. I was tempted to kiss him but I didn't want to do it in front of the church. I looked around for my daddy. Even though my dad is a man-whore, he still loves God and comes to church regularly. I spotted him talking to one of the female church members and shook my head. I just knew he was spittin game. I let go of Dre and walked over to him, Dre followed behind me.

"Hi, Daddy." I said. He turned around and smiled at me.

"Hey, baby girl." he said as he wrapped his huge arms around me and kissed my forehead. "You look beautiful today."

"Thank you. You look nice too." I said as I admired his black slacks, black shirt and red tie. His shoes were shiny and black and he wore a silver Rolex with diamond cuff-links and diamond studs in his ears.

"Thank you. What's up De'Andre?" he said to Dre and stuck out his hand for Dre to shake.

"Nothin much, Mr. James." he replied as he shook my daddy's hand.

"You ready for college? I got some old college buddies that are scouts now for basket ball. I could hook you up with a scholarship if you want." said my dad.

"That's alright, Mr. James. I already got scholarships lined up so I'm good." he replied. I smiled. I'm so proud of my babe.

"That's what's up." said my dad.

"Hey, Jay. Good afternoon.." said Mama D as she made her way over to us. Our parents had been friends since high school so Mama D and my daddy were pretty close.

"Good afternoon, Dee Dee. How you doin? Lookin fine as ever." he said as they hugged. She smiled.

"I'm good. You lookin good ya'self." she replied. This time he smiled.

"Thank you. So what's new?"

"Ask the kids." she replied. My face heated up again.

"Why? What's goin on?" he said as he looked at me and Dre.

"Umm, Mr. James, Kyra and I are together...... as a girlfriend and boyfriend." said Dre. My face heated up even more. I waited for him to go ballistic.

"Is that right?" he asked.

"Yes sir." I replied. He looked at me for a moment.

"Well, I'm glad it's Dre and not some no-goals-in-life havin, thug. Dre has a good head on his shoulders. So I approve." he said. I smiled.

"Thank you, daddy." I said and hugged him.

"I ain't did nothin. You was 'gon be with him regardless of what I said anyway so I might as well approve of it. I can't keep you to myself forever. You finna be 18 years old. Dang, my baby girl is growin up." he said as he hugged me.

"That might be true but I'll always be your baby girl." I said and smiled.

"You damn skippy." he said and made me laugh.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Everybody, including my daddy, sat around the table eating Sunday dinner at Mama D's house. Mia and Asia were talkin about a new mall that had opened up and Dre and I talked about goin to an amusement park called King's Island the next weekend while the adults talked about whatever they talked about and Mario just sat there, pushing his food around on his plate. I felt sorry for him and tried to include him in the conversation.

"Mario, what's your favorite ride at King's Island?" I asked politely.

"Why do you need to know?" he asked with a attitude. I cocked my eyebrow.