As Time Passes

5 Months after the farm

"You find anything?" I asked, looking through another cabinet.

"Nah, you?" I got in reply, causing me to sigh.

I closed the cabinet doors. "No, just the same old array of empty cans." I replied, frustrated. "How long can we seriously keep this up?"

I looked over to Daryl as he closed the cabinet he was looking through. "What do ya mean?"

"This, running from place to place every time we see a group of Walkers." I crossed my arms, looking over to the other room that Glenn and Maggie were scavenging. "Lori is getting bigger, and if we wait too long, we won't find anywhere before her baby's due."

"Dunno." He replied, shrugging his shoulders. "With the herds merging together, it's causing a problem."

"Yeah, you're right." I hummed, earning a chuckle.

Daryl smirked, walking back to the other room. "Always am."

"Yeah right, you're so full of it." I called out to him, glancing around the kitchen one more time in care we missed anything.

Not finding anything, I joined the others in the main room. "Anyone find anything useful?" Rick asked, glancing around at everyone.

"Nah, the place is completely empty." T-Dog spoke up, leaning against the wall.

I sunk down to the floor. "Same here, the kitchen was cleaned out."

"Guess we'll just have to make do with what we have in the cars for now." Carol spoke up, coming up beside Lori. "We should bring our stuff in, she needs to rest."

"Lori shook her head, holding a hand up. "I'm fine, really."

"No, she's right." Rick shook his head at Lori. "We should rest for a bit while we can." Rick pointed his hand that held his gun to the ground, ending the discussion.

Without another word, all of us went to the cars and got our bags, bringing them into the house. As everyone settled down in their spots, I made my way to the back door. "I'll keep watch back here."

Getting a nod from Rick, I grabbed my ax that I found in a cabin a few weeks back, and walked out the door, taking a seat. After a few minutes, I heard the door open and close behind me, before the scent of a cigarette filled my nose.

"What is it with you and cigarettes?" I asked, not bothering to look at who it was, knowing already.

"Why not? Worlds come to an end anyway, doubt I'll die from smoking. Plus it passes the time." Was the response I got, causing me to let out a chuckle. "What's so funny."

"Nothing, I just couldn't help but to imagine the Daryl Dixon, badass of the apocalypse, done in by none other than a cigarette." I waved my hand up as if a banner was in front of me before turning to smirk at him.

"Shut up. Ain't no damn cigarette gonna kill me." He huffed, coming to sit on the steps next to me.

"I know. Nothing's gonna kill you." I concluded, staring back out in front of me. "Truth is, you're gonna outlive us all."

If you told me Daryl Dixon was going to be one of my closest friends in this shitty world, I would've laughed in your face. Remembering how annoyed I was with his constant attitude, I never thought I'd get along with him. But, looking past his attitude, one could figure out he says things but doesn't mean it most of the time.

They say that in life-threatening situations, it tends to form bonds and relationships for lots of people. Those who survive together, thrive together. Hell, only a few months with these guys, and I see everyone here as my family and would risk my life for them. But if I met them under normal circumstances in the old world, that would've been a different story.