Chapter 1

Kheumoni Brown (Moni)

I felt the tears forming in my eyes as I crouched down to wipe my brothers grave

I felt the tears forming in my eyes as I crouched down to wipe my brothers grave. I ran my fingers over the engraved letters on the cold stone, 'In Loving Memory of Nycir J. Brown.' It had been a year since his passing, but the memories still hurt.

I closed my eyes and talked to him as if he were right in front of me.

"Your birthday is coming up, Slim. You finally finna be 21 nigga. I'ma come back Thursday and pour one up for you, ight? Just continue to watch over us, mama misses you man. It kills me to see her so torn..."

I swallowed the lump in my throat as I choked on my words. I took a deep breath and slowly stood up, getting ready to leave.

As I turned around, I was stunned to see Khi towering over me.

"I didn't mean to interrupt, I guess we had the same idea." He let out a slight chuckle trying to ease up the mood.

"You're fine, I just wasn't expecting you to be here."

Slim and Khi had been friends since I was 9. They were both 2 years older than me, so we never really shared interests. Khi had my back when Slim got shot, but we became distant over time. We still check on each other from time to time, and he stops by the house every blue moon.

He leaned in to hug me, and I caught a whiff of his cologne mixed with weed. He was much taller, so his arms wrapped around my neck while my head rested against his chest. I felt his heart pounding, and I swear for a second our heartbeats synced.

He pulled away first and I flashed him a quick smile. "I needed that."

He nodded his head, letting me know that he understood. He then reached for my phone and faced it towards me to unlock it with my FaceID. I watched as he typed his new number in my phone and saved his contact as 'Khi💞.'

"My old phone broke, but I want you to always be able to reach me. Maybe one day we could link on some chill shit, and you could fill me in." He handed me my phone back with a slight smirk on his face.

"Alright, I got you. I would definitely like that." I smiled back at him and proceeded to walk away.

"Be safe, and don't change my contact lil girl." I heard him blurt out. I laughed and replied back, "You too! And I won't lil boy."

"Oh and nothing little about me..."

My eyes grew wide with a smile as I walked faster to my car, immediately texting Lele.

Liyahhh🤞🏽

bitch-

what happened girl😂

you gon have to call me

just come over hereee, imy bestfriendddd

alright, you so clingy🙄🤣
Read 12:27 PM

-

I pulled up in the driveway and peeped 3 niggas on porch; Dee, 10, and Fat.

As I got out the car, I heard someone yell, "Oh shit, that's Moni. Girl I almost blew at yo big dumb ass." The crew burst out laughing.

"Fat, your name says EVERYTHING about you, so I advise you to watch wtf you say to me.." I rolled my eyes and pulled on the screen door.

"It's quiet, ain't no back talk." I whispered to myself.

"Oh she got fat jokes huh, but as soon as somebody get to talking bout SLIM ass there go them fake ass tears." Fat mumbled, causing the boys to laugh.

"You ain't shit gang." Dee laughed while pulling a pop tart out his back pocket.

"DAMN big hungry, and I thought I was big.." Fat yelled, shaking his head. Had 10 over there buggin.

"Nah that is big back activities, cuz how tf you pulling poptarts outta thin air n shit."

"Igh now, chill on me." Dee said, trying not to choke. "Shittttt I be hungry, I got a fast mentalbilism"

"NIGGA A WHAT-"

"Metabolism gang??"

Fat and 10 both blurted at the same time.

"Oh shit." Dee laughed while running in the house embarrassed af.

Lele and I were sitting on the couch chatting about Khi when Dee came in trying to catch his breath from laughing so hard. "Ah shit." Dee hunched over, putting one hand on his knee and the other on Lele shoulder.

"Boy if you don't GET THE FUCK!" Lele yelled.

"STOP ALLAT DAMN CUSSIN, AND DEE I KNOW THATS YO FUNKY ASS RUNNING IN AND OUT SMELLING LIKE OUTSIDE! YOU EITHER COMING IN OR GETTIN PUT THE HELL OUT." A voice yelled out from the master bedroom.

"Damn Debra. Her ass need to be outside sweating off some of them rolls." Dee mumbled under his breath as he walked away.

Lele threw a shoe at his head, "DON'T TALK ABOUT MY MAMA, bitch." She made sure to stay realllll quiet on that one part.

"Mmcht, you know it's all love. Just some words of encouragement." Dee said walking back out the door while rubbing the back of his head.

How y'all feel about this chapter? Stay tuned because this is only the beginning👀