:A Surreptitious Relationship: Chapter Twenty-Two

Start from the beginning

            “Bye!” Paul cried, closing and opening his fist.

            “He’s so cute!” I gushed, grinning like an idiot and waving back to him. “Bye-bye Paul!

            “Good riddance,” Chris added wearily. Both Holly and I pursed our lips at him. He cocked an eyebrow back at us. “You guys even have the same facial expression.”

            “Don’t compare us,” we snapped together. When I realized what I’d said, I turned to Holly, who looked just as regretful as I felt. “No offense!” we said simultaneously, causing Chris to laugh.

            “You better leave, Holly, before you two form into the same person.”

            She nodded her agreement. “I’ll see you guys later.”

            “Bye!” I called as she opened the apartment door. “Have a nice night!”

            “You too!” she responded before shutting the door and leaving Chris and I in a calm silence.

            Chris sighed heavily. “Finally, some peace and quiet.”

            “Are you going to bring me home now?” I questioned, turning my head toward him.

            He frowned at me. “You want to leave right now?”

            “Well, not at this exact moment, but—”

            “Why don’t you just stay over again?” he urged, lowering his voice so it came out more suave and sexy than usual.

            I shook my head, trying to ignore the butterflies that appeared in my stomach. “I have a lot of homework to do, Chris.”

            “Do it tomorrow.”

            “I don’t want to wait until the last minute.”

            “I’ll keep you here by force,” he warned me, gripping my wrists with his hands and pulling them far behind him so I was pulled to his chest.

            With my face pressed to his shoulder, I couldn’t speak coherently, so I struggled to liberate my wrists. After a second he brought them closer to me so I could move my head back. “That would be kidnap, wouldn’t it?”

            “True. I could also persuade you to stay.”

            “How so?”

            His hands moved from my wrists to my waist, where he held me in place. I watched as he gradually began moving his head closer to mine. Closing my eyes, I stood still, waiting for the feel of his lips against mine. When they didn’t come, I opened them again to see him smirking. I flushed, realizing how much of an idiot I probably looked like.

            “Do you want me to kiss you?” he inquired.

            “Yes,” I mumbled.

            “What? I can’t hear you?”

            I glowered at him. “I said yes!”

            He gave me a swift peck on my lips before pushing me away gently. “There you go. Ready to go home?”

            “What?”

            “You said you wanted to go home,” he notified me.

            I shook my head, grabbing his arm. “First I want to kiss you.”