51

"What about this?" Taeyong asked as he held up another object in the store.

Donghyuck shook his head for the tenth time as he let his eyes wander again.

Taeyong sighed before putting it back and going to stand infront of Donghyuck.

"We've been here for hours baby," Taeyong titled his head. "And you still haven't told me why I had to pick you up early from school."

Donghyuck walked towards another shelf to gaze at the merchandise.

"It was just a really long day," Donghyuck sighed when he didn't find what he was looking for.

"There is going to be a lot of long days for a little while," Taeyong put his hands in his coat pocket. "But I think it was a bit more than a long day."

Donghyuck traveled even further to a stuffed animal stand in the middle of the aisle. 

His hands instantly gravitating towards a cheetah stuffed animal.

"I..." Donghyuck stuttered as he stared into the eyes of the fluffy animal. "I missed him today."

"Markie?" Taeyong asked behind him.

Donghyucks fingers went rigid before he put the animal back down on the display.

"He had a long day too," Taeyong gave a knowing look. "The doctor said his symptoms were worse because of stress. It definitely didn't help that you weren't home."

"But...but he..." Donghyuck tried to not think about what happened last night.

"I heard from Nana before he went to Renjuns," Taeyong rubbed one of his feet against the floor. "I still can't believe he said that."

"Why does everybody keep saying that?" Donghyucks brows were tight with frustration. "He had every right to say it. He can say whatever he wants."

"No he can't-" Taeyong went to say what everyone else has been telling him.

"Yes he can," Donghyuck cut him off. "Especially if it's true. It was only a matter of time until he was going to think about what everyone else was thinking."

Taeyong's mouth was parted in both disbelief.

"I just..." Donghyuck finally turned around. His teeth worrying at his bottom lip to keep himself together. "I just want to change his mind before it's too late."

Donghyuck let his glazed eyes go over the store once again before his shoulders dropped.

"But nothing here is perfect," Donghyuck felt frustrated. "Nothing here says all the things I want to say."

"What do you want to say?" Taeyong's heart felt heavy in his chest.

"I-i don't know," Donghyuck shrugged his shoulders. "That I'm sorry? That I want to be better? That I..."

"Mm okay," Taeyong nodded his head before reaching forward to grab Donghyuck's hand. "Come on."

"What? Where are we going?" Donghyuck frowned as Taeyong pulled him out of the store and towards the car.

"I know the perfect thing," Taeyong rubbed a thumb over Donghyuck's knuckles as he guided them to the car.

...

Donghyuck felt his heart pounded roughly against his ribcage as they walked through the front door.

There were feet the padded down the hallway and Jeno came into view.