Chapter 60 At last

"Time to wake up, sweetheart. I think it's time to wake up."

"Why?"

"Because we've been asleep for over eleven hours." Malachi ran his hands gently through Tamar's hair.

"Don't start that again," she snarled and sat up, swatting his hands away.

"I knew that would wake you up." He stretched on the ground then rolled onto his side, taking her with him. He continued the roll until he had her pinned beneath him.

"I have a surprise for you." He said with a mischievous look.

"Oh, do you now?"

"Yep, now don't freak out, but I had Central invite a fe..." He was interrupted as he saw Tamar's nose twitch and he found himself flung to the side.

"Someone's here. How did someone get all the way here without us knowing?" She hissed, her hackles raising.

"That's what I was trying to tell you. I had Central guild Chaplin Pastor Wilcuts, my brother, Doctor Peters, and Tammy here."

"Why would you do that? I don't want anyone here, not now, after what I did.! No one'll want anything to do with me."

"That's not true," a soft female voice came from close by.

Whirling, Tamar saw nurse Jenkins step out of the shadows.

"But you're, you're, I killed you. I saw your body, I had your blood all over me!" Tamar screamed, the memory threatening to overwhelm her.

Reaching out, Malachi caught her by the hand and spun her attempt to run into a spin that had her slamming into his chest. Before she could move, she had both arms wrapped around her.

"You see, you didn't kill her. Even asleep, the general couldn't make you kill. No one can. You're your own person, no one can make you do anything anymore, and Tammy came her on her own, I asked, and she was more than willing to show you what you did." Tamar poked her head to the side so she could peak one eye out and look at Tammy.

"It's been three days. With all the regenerative treatments we have now, I'm healed from everything, except my leg. It's still giving me some trouble. Other than that, I'm fine." Jenkins saw Tamar looking at her and answered her unasked question.

"But why are you even here? Even if I didn't, I could have killed you."

"Because your boyfriend sent us a very comprehensive report on everything they did to you, physically and mentally. I know what you did wasn't your fault. The girl I know wouldn't have done that without cause. Besides, I believe that everyone deserves a second chance."

Tamar didn't know what to say. Was everyone on this ship this nice? Tammy had sounded just like Malachi. Even after spending so much time with him, not having to be on her guard all the time still took some getting used to.

"So why is everyone else here for?" Tamar asked, turning around to face Tammy.

"For any marriage, there has to be a pastor and three witnesses. I'm one, his brother is another and doctor Peters is the last.

"Marriage? What do you mean marriage?" She spun to look at Mal.

"This was your idea, wasn't it?"

"Hey," he dropped his voice so only she could hear. "Do you want me to put your fire out or not?" Tamar stood up instantly, straight, as if she'd been hit by a high voltage wire.

"Good point," she clapped both hands together. "Okay people, let's get this boat on the road!" She shouted, waving her arms to motions everyone forward.

"Show, not boat, lets get this show on the road." Malachi corrected.

"Whatever. Now, how does one of these things work?" Tamar looked at everyone at once, hoping someone would tell her.

Chaplin Wilcuts spoke up.

"I need the both of you over here." he motioned for Tamar and Malachi to stand right in front of him.

He never thought he'd even see the day, but he couldn't discount what his eye told him. His big brother was getting married. He'd always imagined his brother dying alone, surrounded by nothing but his odd collection of animals. How had this girl gotten to him, and in just over a month? When Central had told him he was wanted by Malachi to be one of the witnesses at his wedding, he'd had to have it repeat what it had said, twice.

The entire ceremony took only a few minutes. So much like Malachi, sort of sweet and to the point. No frills wanted or needed, and Tamar, she looked like she wanted to be anywhere than where she was. Joshua could tell she was only there because of the man she stood across from. But as she repeated her vows, Joshua saw a most profound change come over the tiny woman. Her face began to glow, a light shining through the hair that covered her. He watched an entirely different person being formed in front of him. Gone was the fierce, cold warrior, born as a soft feminine woman. A woman whose eyes were locked on his brother, and his brother alone. Whatever had happened down on the planet, all he knew was these two were bonded on a level he'd never understand.

"I now pronounce you, husband, and wife." The words were no sooner out of Chaplin Wilcuts mouth before Tamar threw herself into Malachi's arms and smothered him with a passionate kiss.

"We're going to spend awhile here. Tell the captain he can expect us back in three days." Malachi told Joshua while Tamar chatted with Tammy.

With the short ceremony over, everyone was chatting before the four of those that had come began the long journey back to the part of the ship that was inhabited.

"You'd better be careful," Joshua leaned in a whispered. "You might have some trouble keeping up tonight. If you need any pointers, I could give you a few."

"I'll try to keep up, and no, I don't need any couching, thank you very much." Malachi gave his brother a playful push.

"Now you guys need to get moving. I'm sure the captain needs you guys for something."

"Oh, you wouldn't be trying to get rid of us, would you?" Joshua elbowed Malachi in the ribs.

"Yes!" Tamar spun away from Tammy, her scream coming out a low hiss.

"Okay people. I believe we've overstayed our welcome. Let's go, our mission here is accomplished." With a flourish, Joshua grabbed nurse Jenkins and doctor Peters by the arm and led them towards the door.

"Now I wish the both of you the best, and I know this has not been the most conventional of weddings, but now I must return with the others. The last thing I want is to get lost on this ship." With a smile, pastor Wilcuts turned and followed the other.

With blessed solitude at last achieved, Tamar turned towards the fire. Walking over to the far edge, dropping articles of clothing with every step. When she reached the soft grass on the far side, she laid down and turned to face him.

"My husband," she raised an arm and beckoned. "Come to me."