Chapter 52: Finding Enjoyment

Start from the beginning

"Koyin?" he called out as the woman got closer. Upon hearing her name, the woman looked over as if just noticing someone was around.

"Link? What're you doing up here?" she asked, stopping once she got close to him.

"Just kinda thinking through some things," Link answered. "What's up with you? You look a bit tired."

"I am tired," she answered, leaning her forearms against the fence. "It's those monsters again. They keep making off with my sheep and I just can't stop them. I'm not sure what to do about it anymore. I always say they'll pay, but I can't take those beasts on. I'll just get myself killed."

Link furrowed his brow before his stomach sank. He remembered that Koyin had asked him for his help a little bit ago, and he had blown her off. He had forgotten about it the moment after he turned her down before, continuing his quest to stop the assassin, slowly falling into the trap that had been planned for him.

"S-sorry to hear that," Link replied guiltily.

"Ah, thanks, but it's no one's fault but my own," Koyin said with a defeated sigh. "You would think a shepherd would be able to defend her own flock of sheep. I was furious about it before, but now..."

Hopelessly, she lowered her chin onto her arms, supposedly deciding she couldn't do anything more but join Link and look out into the village's beauty. The two sat in silence for a few moments before the voice of Link's father echoed in his mind:

They encouraged me to do something I loved, something that made me happy...

"I'll go," Link said suddenly. Confused, Koyin looked over at him.

"You will?" she asked. "I know you said you were busy before, and you've already helped me out once. I don't want to bother you again-"

"No, it's fine," Link said, pushing himself off the fence. "You shouldn't feel bad about not being able to protect those sheep. Those monsters, they aren't what they used to be. They're a lot stronger now. I should have helped you before, but I can at least help you now before you lose any more sheep."

Koyin's face lit up.

"A-alright!" she cheered, pushing herself up from the fence. "Thank you! This means the world to me. If this continued for much longer, I wouldn't have any sheep left."

"I believe it," Link chuckled. "It's the same camp down at Hateno Beach, right?"

"The same one. I thought it was a different camp since you beat them before, but I have heard stories about monsters returning from the dead. Creepy," Koyin said. Link's face grew stern. He hadn't forgotten what he had seen-and almost died to- back at Hyrule Castle. "I wonder if that means those monsters will just keep coming back-"

"They won't," Link said immediately. "I'll find a way to stop them from doing so. Zelda and I will figure it out together."

"That's crazy talk, right there," Koyin said with a raised eyebrow, but shrugged. "If anyone can do it though, it's you. I really appreciate the help, Link. Are you going to the inn tonight?"

"I am," Link nodded.

"Great! I'll buy you a drink," she said, "as thanks. I've got a few things to take care of before then, so I'll see you tonight!"

Waving back at him, the farmhand ran off toward the house on the other end of the fence. Link gave a small wave and an awkward smile.

"Thanks, but I don't think I'll be drinking tonight, though..."

It had been some time since Link had taken a trip down to the beach. In fact, he was pretty sure the last time he had ventured down this side of the mountain was when he was still on the lookout for korok seeds in the area. It was different down here than up on the mountaintops where the village was. The snow was a lot lighter down here, only appearing in little patches, and those were often covered by the tall, unkempt grass that bordered the beach itself.