The so-called warlock raised an eyebrow at the riceworker, who then continued:

"You're aware how every self-respecting businessman in the Rice Fields owns a big, beautiful rice field? Our beloved Priest Amano has these... things running in his field. We can't work there!"

"The priest's name sounds familiar." Yongsheng pondered. "You mean, Amano Seitaro? Wasn't that the guy I taught some Chromic techniques and told him specifically to share the knowledge with everyone else in the village?"

"Well... yes, perhaps that is true. But Chromic magic is way too complex, oh Yongsheng."

"No, that ain't true. How many chromosomes do you guys have? Three? Four? I have fifteen. See, it's not that big of a difference. You just have to learn how to use it properly."

Masashi spread his arms open, beginning to look like a preacher on Sunday morning.

"Sorry, I wasn't finished," the monk stopped him with a hand gesture. "See, I come every few thousand Chromosomes to your Realm for other, more personal purposes. I don't want you to think that I consider the Rice Fields a special sacred ground, nor do I have any friends there. It isn't my fault you sometimes get attacked by Chromic monsters and it's certainly not my fault that you ask me to do something about it. I mean no disrespect, of course, I do sympathise with your poor fortune and I kind of like you... how did you say, Rice Men, you're a fun bunch."

As the two walked along the garden, they arrived at a small intersection, whereby to the left of the pathway the Ricefielder saw a kind of decorative ornate fountain with two benches near it. Yongsheng went over to the fountain and swiftly threw his arm out. Masashi didn't notice how, but the monk now held a carved wooden mug in his hand. He bent forward slightly and scooped up some of the water from the fountain, offering the drink to the rice enthusiast.

"Thank you," he said, taking a sip. Masashi was deeply surprised by how the water from the fountain had turned into sake - the rice wine his people enjoyed. Fascinated, he downed it all, and returned the cup. He decided, however, to not ask any questions, and tried to get back to business. "What about the salamandraka problem at hand?" he asked.

"Yes, what about it?" Yongsheng replied carelessly, a shadow of a smirk playing on his lips.

"Forgive me, oh monk, but I don't think you understand what these vile creatures really are. We have already lost two good men, and one is lying in the infirmary! They're tiny, yet ferocious, and they're very fast!"

"I eat salamandrakas for breakfast," the monk said with a small scoff. "I didn't quite hear what you want me to do, though."

"I want... I mean, we would like you to help us. Please, Yongsheng?"

The monk turned around and came face-to-face with Masashi. The riceworker picked up the scent of cotton blossom, exotic herbs and, oddly enough, blood. Even though the monk was a bit shorter than him, Masashi still felt threatened, yet protected at the same time.

"Listen, old man, don't take this personally, but last time I came to your priest — he wanted me to kill a cavesplunker — he scammed me out of two thousand Chromosomes. He thinks he can get away with it by sending someone else to go for him?" Yongsheng spoke in a very calm tone, though it was still menacing. He seemed irritated.

"We-what do you even need so much money for, anyway, oh breadwinner?" Masashi tried to retort.

"Out of principle. I don't like being on the receiving end of an unfair game. Comprehend, friend?"

"Yongsheng, I beg of you," the riceworker fell onto his knees. "A day or two from now - and they'll wreak havoc in the whole village. Please, my field is right next to Seitaro's. Please!" he went on, tugging at the monk's snow-white jacket.

"Gah, fine, okay, calm down!" the warlock said in frustration, pulling him up from the ground. "Don't worship me, it's heresy."

Masashi seemed deeply relieved by this turn of events. He breathed out and bowed at a rather steep angle.

"Thank you, Warlock!" he began to say. "By the name of the Rice Fields, thank-"

"Cut it out, Tsujii. It's alright, let's go. Shouldn't be too big of a problem."

Yongsheng formed a bright blue chromosome in his hand. It looked mesmerising to the traveller — radiating with energy and magic. The monk threw it against the ground in front of them, shattering it into thousands of pieces. The stone tiling slowly warped into a spiral, and soon began glowing cerulean as tiny X-shaped particles flew out of it invitingly.

"You first," the monk said, pushing the riceworker's shoulder. Masashi bent over from the push and nearly fell into the rift. He was, understandably, hesitant, given he always traversed Realms by walking from one end to the other. However, feeling the pressure, he felt compelled to jump into said portal. Which he finally did. The feeling was alien to him and unlike anything he had ever experienced before. He was falling down, up, forwards, backwards and at the same time suspended in space as colourful ripples flew past him. He felt weightless and carefree, just floating through the Omniverse...