Chapter Thirty-Eight.

Start from the beginning

Whilst I was sat at my desk, trying to completely concentrate on getting the LEA end of year report complete, I could hear Janeece arguing with someone out in the main part of the office, both parties going at each other with full-force. Listening in a bit more carefully, I worked out that the second voice also came from a female. As much as I knew that Janeece was a fiery character and majority of the time didn't let people get one-up on her, I could tell the other woman wasn't prepared to back down hence why I had to go and intervene.

Sighing, I stood up from my desk and headed to my office door, pulling it open and seeing the full extent of the situation. "What on earth is going on?!" I yelled, the two women shutting up immediately. "I've got loads of work to be getting on with and I could do without the distraction..."

"Mr. Byrne, this woman here is demanding to see you!" Janeece announced, still quite het-up and annoyed. "I've told her you're busy, but she insists..." and with that, the second woman looked at me and I recognised her straightaway.

"Hello, Mr. Byrne!" She spoke and I couldn't believe what I was seeing.

"Lorraine Donnegan...as I live and breathe!" I laughed, pulling her in for an embrace. "I haven't seen you in years. How have you been? How's the family?" I asked her, watching Janeece look at us in confusion.

"Wait a minute. You two know each other?" She questioned, completely baffled by the whole situation because Lorraine was considerably younger than me.

"Lorraine was one of my first students when I started out in teaching." I replied, wondering why she had come all this way. "Please come through to my office..." I spoke, inviting her in and closing the door behind me.

Watching her take a seat at my desk, I sat down opposite her, straightening out my tie and placing my hands together. "So, what brings you this way?" I queried, wanting to know what she's up to these days.

"You know you used to say to me that I'd never amount to anything?" She asked rhetorically, making me feel guilty that I did tell her that when she was younger. "Well, I came here to prove you wrong..."

"Look Lorraine, you were a lot younger back then. I never meant to..." Was all I managed to get out before she interrupted me.

"No, let me finish!" She yelled, shutting me up immediately. "Nowadays, I'm actually a very successful businesswoman and a millionaire. I've come here with a proposition for you." She informed me and I continued to sit in silence, wanting her to continue. "I've got plans to open up a new independent, no-fee paying school in Scotland and I want you to run the place."

Her words had me stunned, but also intrigued at the same time. Part of me would love to return to my hometown of Scotland because I do miss the place, but I also have some plans for Waterloo Road that I want to put into place next term. "I'm absolutely flattered, but I've got this place to think of..." I spoke before she interrupted me again.

"Michael, admit it! This place is just a failing inner-city school. Think of all the better prospects you'd have if you took me up on my offer." She reiterated, but it just wasn't as easy as that.

"It's not only that. I've also got my 18 year old daughter Lindsay to think of. I have to take her feelings into consideration as well." I told her, knowing I'd need to speak to Lindsay before I made any life-changing decisions.

"If she's 18, she'll probably be heading off to University in September and if she knows how much of a great opportunity this is for you, then I'm sure she won't stand in your way." Lorraine replied, brushing the situation off as if it wasn't anything major. "Look, I've got to go as I'm blocking the school gates. I'm meeting a contractor in town these evening and I'd love for you to join us. Take my business card and let me know if you'll be joining me." She spoke, handing me the card and leaving my office, closing the door rather loudly behind her.