Wattpad Original
There are 7 more free parts

Chapter 32: Find My Way

"No," Archie stated.

"What?"

"You will do no such thing," Archie was stern.

"Are you out of your mind? I will not allow you to be punished because of me. I am dead already—"

"Shut the fuck up, Samuel, and listen to me," Archie said. "Go to my room. Push my bed aside and underneath it, there is a loose plank. You will find gold coins there, my mother's jewelry, and some things that the old man left me."

"Archie, I cannot take your—"

"They are not as valuable as Lady Mary's necklace but...I believe they should be enough to pay the surgeon that can cure you. Take it and run. Just run, okay?" Archie ordered. "Do not look back and...and save your life. Please, Sammy."

"I will do no such thing!" Sammy exclaimed. "I will not let you suffer for me. My life is not worth more than yours. What kind of a man do you take me to be?"

"Sammy, my friend..." Archie sighed. "My life will not be endangered. Yes, I will be punished. But the King is not going to hang me for theft. I know Prince Kenric would never allow that to happen. He is just going to whip me and...and I can take it. A hundred lashes are nothing. So do not worry about me."

"Archie...no..."

"But you cannot. You will not survive a week in prison let alone even a dozen lashes. You may be dying right now but you will die if you confess," Archie said. "This is the only way that you get to live."

"I cannot live at your expense. I just...I cannot," Sammy stammered. "I refuse to do that."

"I do not have any family left, Sammy. But you...you are like my brother. Fuck that, you are my brother. I cannot bear to see you die. Please, Sammy, that will kill me too," Archie begged. "Just take the gold and run. I will be fine, I swear. Do you think your father will be able to live if he sees his only son die? Do this for him, please. And for me. Even if you do not wish to for yourself."

"I cannot..."

"I am begging you, my brother," Archie pleaded. "Please save yourself."

"Archie–"

"I will survive. I promise that I will," Archie said. "And I want you to survive too. This is the only way. Please just do as I say."

"I do not want to."

"But you have to. You need to," Archie argued. "Even if...even if you try to confess I will just tell them that you are lying to save me. The necklace was found in my room. I know the ins and outs of the entire castle. I am more likely to have stolen than you. So just do as I say and go fucking live."

"I have no words." Sammy was stunned.

"You do not need to say anything, Sammy," Archie said with a small smile. "Let me do this for you. Please."

Sammy looked torn, and Archie could only stare at him in hope that he would listen. Archie could not save his mother from dying. But he had the chance to save Sammy, and he was going to make sure that his friend gets his cure, no matter what he has to do for it or how much he has to suffer. There was no way in hell he was going to let another loved one die. Especially when he had the means to save him.

"Just go." Archie's voice was soft.

"Okay," Sammy muttered. "Okay. I will."

"Good." Archie smiled.

"I do not know how to thank you," Sammy said.

"You do not need to," Archie replied. "But...but I hope you know that we may not meet again."