Wattpad Original
There are 22 more free parts

Chapter 17: When We Were Kids

14 Years Ago

"Archie... Archie... Archie!" Kenric repeated as he held the boy's arm and shook it. His voice was barely a whisper as he did not want to wake up Archie's mother, Lena, who was sleeping in the same room. "Get up!"

"Ken?" Archie grumbled as he rubbed his eyes, trying his best to open them. "What are you doing here?"

"I was bored. And I could not sleep," Kenric answered, making Archie exhale deeply as he looked at his friend with a tired expression on his face.

"So you decided to wake me up too?"

"Who else would give me company if not my dearest friend?" Kenric grinned.

"Are you certain you cannot sleep?" Archie asked, and Kenric shook his head in response. "Fine. Lets-"

Archie paused the moment the two heard Lena mumble something in her sleep and turn over in the bed. Kenric bent down, hiding just in case she opened her eyes. But she did not, and Archie kept a finger on his lips as he got out of his cot as quietly as he could. Both the boys made their way out of the room on their toes, careful enough not to make any noise whatsoever.

As soon as they were out, Kenric held Archie's hand and the two ran across the hallway until they were far enough from the servant's quarters.

"Now that you have broken my peaceful slumber and smashed my dream that I was very much rejoicing... what do you suggest we do?" Archie asked.

"What were you dreaming about?" Kenric asked.

"Us." Archie grinned. "But we were older."

"Were we still friends?"

"Of course! What kind of a question is that? We are always going to remain friends," Archie scoffed as if it was the most obvious thing in the world.

"The best of friends?" Kenric smiled, and Archie nodded. "What else was in your dream?"

"We were out in the forest and it started raining. I think it was the first rain of the season so instead of running for shelter we both were dancing," Archie recalled.

"Dancing? You hate to dance," Kenric chuckled.

"It was a dream, you idiot, I cannot control what happens." Archie rolled his eyes. "Do you want to hear the rest of it or not?"

"Please, go on Your Highness," Kenric teased. Archie stuck out his tongue at the older boy but then continued nonetheless.

"As we were dancing there was suddenly a shadow over us. We looked above and..." Archie paused, Kenric turned to face him, now even more interested in his friend's dream.

"And?"

"And a dragon was flying on top of us!" Archie exclaimed excitedly.

"A dragon?" Kenric rose his brows in surprise.

"Yes!" Archie smiled widely. "It was so big and beautiful! It was red in color with the widest wings you could imagine. It came down and stood right in front of us in all of its glory and...and then we climbed on it and it flew away with us on its back!"

"Wow..." Kenric blinked in awe. "That is a fun dream."

"Fun? It was marvelous! And it felt so real... I can still feel the breeze on my face," Archie said.

"I wish I had dreams like this," Kenric replied. "I can never remember what happens in mine."

"Do you want to go to the eastern garden? Sir Jonah usually lets us sit out as long as he can keep an eye on us," Archie suggested.