Wattpad Original
There are 8 more free parts

Chapter 31: The Crime Of Being Poor

"If you are back 'ere in this rotten cell...I take it the court hearing did not go as you had hoped," Jacob said once the guards left the prisoners alone.

"The King deemed that I was guilty," Archie muttered. He was still in shock about everything that went down just a few moments ago.

"Told ya, he is not as just as most would think," Jacob sighed. "If anyone knows what it is like to be in your shoes...it ain't nobody but me."

"I suppose." Archie was in no mood to talk anymore.

"So? What is it gonna be? The guillotine? Banishment? Imprisonment at some ivory tower?" Jacob asked.

"A hundred lashes," Archie answered. A shiver went down his spine as he thought of being whipped.

"That is it?" Jacob huffed. "You got off easy. You will live."

"I will live and then what?" Archie spoke. "My life is over. I will never find work in the capital again."

"So just leave. Go somewhere people do not know you. Start afresh," Jacob said. "I would do just about anything for a shot at a new life."

"I do not want to start anew!" Archie snapped. "I like...I liked my life the way it was."

"Well..." Jacob paused. "Your life as you knew it is over now. The sooner you accept that the better it will be for you."

Archie did not say anything in return, as he went and sat down in the corner of his cell. He pressed his knees up against his chest as he stared at the ground. That was all he could do now until it was time for his punishment.

Archie waited. He waited and he waited for Kenric. He was not upset with the prince. He knew that Kenric would have done everything in his power to try and save Archie. He was angry with the fates, but not with Kenric. Some things were just out of anybody's control, even if the strongest man in the kingdom was concerned.

All he wanted was for Kenric to be there with him. To be beside him like he was for the last two nights. He did not know if he would ever see Kenric after his punishment, a notion that scared him more so than getting lashed.

Losing Kenric was what he considered to be his true punishment. And he could not bear the thought of that.

Hours passed by, and the dungeon grew even darker. Archie could tell that by now it would have been late at night, and his hope died by the minute as Kenric never showed.

Archie's eyes had dried up from the tears that streamed down his face continuously until there was nothing left. Now he just felt numb. Numb to everything.

Finally, after what felt like an eternity, Archie looked up as he heard the familiar sound of footsteps. But the glimmer of hope died as quickly as it was lit when he came face to face with the last person he had expected to see.

***

Kenric slammed his fist against the other man's jaw, sending him right to the ground as he held his face in agony. Kenric was fuming, and he was about to dive right into his attack once again when he was pulled back by someone.

He turned to see who had dared to disturb him but calmed down a tiny bit when he came to face Sir Christian, who had a visible frown on his lips.

Kenric shrugged off his hold angrily but said nothing as he turned around and walked away from the knights.

It was clear to all of them that the prince was taking his frustration out during their daily training. None of them dared to say anything, though. Kenric seemed like he would have chopped off the head of anyone that tried to stand in his way, and nobody wanted to be at the receiving end of his fury. Especially after they saw the condition of the knight that was dueling with Kenric during practice.