Wattpad Original
There are 36 more free parts

Chapter 3: Fight The World

It had been a few hours since Kenric and Archie took off for the western borders. Archie had prepared the horses and gathered all the supplies needed for their trip before Kenric even woke up. Kenric was impressed, to say the least. Kenric had not missed the apprehensive look on Archie’s face the moment they left the stables and embarked on their journey. 

"I have a question, if I may?" Archie spoke up, finally breaking the silence that had fallen upon them. 

"Speak your mind," Kenric replied, glancing at the stable boy momentarily.

"Why are we going to the western borders, sire?" Archie asked. “I apologize if I’m overstepping my boundaries by asking.”

"There have been some attacks near the border recently. We are going there to find out if it is the neighboring king causing trouble or just a group of bandits," Kenric answered.

If the attacks were by bandits, then it would not be that big an issue. But Kenric was worried that King Alfred was poking around their land once again, he was notorious for doing so even in the past. If that were the case, then it could potentially hamper the peace treaty between the kingdoms. Kenric could not let that happen. Kenric was a warrior, but he did not enjoy war. It was just his duty.

"Can I still speak my mind?" Archie questioned.

"Archie," Kenric let out a tired sigh. "You can always speak freely with me."

"Why am I going with you? Shouldn't you have taken other knights? Or your manservant?" Archie asked.

"If it is King Alfred’s men then a group of knights traveling together would surely alert him and that could lead to a battle no one wants right now. If it is a group of bandits then I can take care of them on my own," Kenric paused for a moment before continuing, "Jude is too old to travel with me."

"But why me?" Archie questioned again. “I have no experience in taking care of a prince.”

"You and I knew each other once," Kenric answered truthfully, "I wanted to travel with an old friend."

"I told you…we cannot be friends, sire," Archie said, and Kenric did not even need to look at the other man to know that he must have been frowning.

"Why? Am I that bad, huh?" Kenric tried to joke.

"You know I think you're a great warrior and an even more honorable prince, sire," Archie said, "but I—"

"You are just a stable boy, yes, I know," Kenric sighed again, he wanted to tell him how he was so much more than that, at least to Kenric. "We can still be friends. Unless you think I'm not worthy enough to be so."

"Quite the opposite, sire," Archie muttered.

"What happened to the confident Archie that was ready to fight even the king whenever he saw me punished by his hands?" Kenric asked. “Who was ready to tear down the castle to get to me?”

"He grew up," Archie said, his voice barely a whisper, but Kenric heard it as clear as day.

None of them spoke after that. The journey to the borders would take them a little more than two days. Maybe three. And then the same number of days to get back to the capital. Had Kenric gone alone he would have been much faster, but Archie’s company was worth the tiny sacrifice. There was not just one, but two missions on his mind.

It was now night time and the two men were setting camp. Archie was quick to find some dry wood and light a fire. Kenric warmed himself in front of the fire as Archie prepared supper from the limited supplies they could carry.