Bella Finds Out...

Two Weeks Later...

"Seb! We have a problem!" Quil cried.
"What did Paul do this time?" Seb replied dryly.
"Well, Bella found out about us and slapped Paul. Jake shifted in front of her and started fighting with Paul. Embry and I are coming with Bella now. Can you tell Emily?" Quil surmised.
"Fine. We'll deal with Bella when you get here." Sebastian reluctantly agreed.

He got up from his post on the porch. Sam had asked him to stay behind to keep an eye on Emily since he was her favorite outside of Sam. He walked into the house and went into the kitchen, finding Emily making gigantic muffins for the boys. She worked in silence for another moment before turning her attention to Sebastian. He gave her a strained smile, which set her worrying instincts off. She quickly placed her pan of muffins on the stove and turned to face Sebastian.

"Seb? What's wrong? Is anyone hurt?" Emily questioned.

Sebastian quickly took out a notepad and a pen and wrote:

Bella found out. She slapped Paul, and now he and Jake are fighting. Embry and Quil are bringing her here.

"Okay, thanks for the heads up, Seb. Why don't you go and wait outside?" Emily suggested.

Sebastian nodded and slowly walked out of the house. Just as he got to the top of the porch stairs, Bella's truck pulled into the driveway. Embry jumped out of the truck and ran up to the porch. Quil got out of the truck and ran to the porch, worrying in his eyes. Sebastian gave him a concerned look, silently asking what was wrong.

"Bella's not happy. She saw you when we were driving up." Quil hurriedly explained.

Sebastian sighed as he watched his sister storm up the driveway. Embry and Quil quickly made their escape, leaving Sebastian on the receiving end of his sister's anger. Bella finally reached her vampiric brother, who was like a statue waiting for her. She came up to him and tried to give him a slap. A pale hand stopped her from doing so. Sebastian gave his sister an unimpressed look as he held her wrist.

"What? Nothing to say? You've been gone for months with no warning! You could've called or responded to my emails!!" Bella yelled.
"Yo, Bella, he can't talk! Give him some slack, and let him write something down." Embry called out.
"What do you mean he can't talk? Why can't you talk?" Bella interrogated.

Sebastian sighed in frustration and tugged at the bandana around his neck. Bella gasped in shock, and the four deep claw marks across Sebastian's throat. Sebastian threw the bandana down on the porch and stormed into the house. Bella hesitantly entered, seeing the boys relaxing in the dining room. She then saw a young woman bring a platter of hot muffins on the table.

"Are you boys hungry? Like I have to ask." Emily said sarcastically.

Embry and Quil reached for the muffins before Emily stopped them.

"Save some for your brothers and ladies first. So, you're the vampire girl." Emily commented.
"And you're the wolf girl." Bella replied.
"Sort of, I'm engaged to one. Seb, I've got a bag warmed up if you're hungry." Emily offered.

Sebastian nodded while Bella watched the interaction confused. Embry noticed and shifted in his chair to get Bella's attention. Bella looked over, still confused at what was going on.

"Seb got hurt. He won't tell us why, but he can still talk mentally. Since Emily isn't a wolf, he has to write everything down, or we have to tell her what he wants." Embry explained.
"Yeah, we can talk to each other through our minds. Dammit! These are trade secrets, and we're telling an outsider everything! I mean, she runs with vampires!" Quil exclaimed while laughing.
"It's okay, you're not the first monsters I've met. And you can't really run with vampires since, you know, they're fast." Bella muttered.
"Yeah? Well, we're faster and stronger." Quil says, still smiling.

Just then, Jacob and Paul came walking in, smiling on their faces as they joked around. Sam followed them in and made a beeline to Emily, who had just stepped out of the kitchen. She held a styrofoam cup with a straw out to Sebastian, who silently grabbed it. Bella watched, vaguely grossed out as Sebastian slurped down the deer's blood. Emily and everyone else ignored the vampire shifter in favor of chatting amongst themselves.

A Couple Hours Later...

The pack finally relaxed as Bella drove off. Jake stood out on the porch, watching her as she left. Sam called out to him and gestured for him to come inside. Jake came in and saw everyone sitting in a circle in the living room.

"Is this an intervention?" Jake asked, hoping to lighten up the mood.
"No, Sebastian feels ready to tell us why he's not speaking." Sam answered.
"Oh." Jake said.
"Great, now that everyone's on the same page, I'm gonna give a summary of what happened. Y'all don't need all the details. If anyone tells Jasper, I will deny everything, okay?" Sebastian promised.

Everyone nodded. Emily snuggled up in Sam's lap while everyone else shifted to the edge of their seats. Sebastian sighed and got comfortable, thinking about what details he wanted to leave out. Finally, he began.

"When I was in Alaska, Jasper and I were hunting. We had split off into different directions, and I was alone. While I was tracking, I got distracted by the smell of a bear that was nearby. Suddenly, I felt a presence and moved to dodge. As I moved, I was able to see that it was another vampire. A newborn, to be specific. They came at me again and again until they were able to claw my throat. Before they could do any more damage, I managed to get them off and wound them. They ran away, and I was faced with the fact that I couldn't speak. I quickly found the bear and fed on it before collapsing in pain. Jasper found me a few minutes later, and I used the bear as a cover so he wouldn't worry." Sebastian explained.

"You do realize that once he finds out you lied to him, it isn't going to be pretty for you?" Jared remarked, breaking the silence.

Everyone nodded in agreement. Emily tried to discreetly wipe her eyes. Sebastian noticed but didn't say anything. The pack spent the rest of the night either doing patrol or relaxing at Sam's house.

Sebastian sat on the roof, thinking about Jasper. He missed him and knew he'd have to tell him about his injury sooner or later. He sighed, thinking how his life had changed so quickly in the last year and a half. He watched as the moon set and the sun started to rise, making him shine like a diamond.