chapter 10: audacity

It's Monday again. But this particular Monday, you're a new woman and you're reminded by the rack of cash sitting on your dresser and the bruise on your neck that you'd have to cover with make-up before you leave. Next to the money is a note left by your superior. His handwriting is somehow messy and intricate at the same time. It says a lot about him.

Buy yourself something nice.

The events of the past 72 hours are a blur and almost don't seem real. Your sore bottom and the text from Aki on your phone are proof that they very much are. Your sex life had always been colorful, even if you weren't very active the past few months because you were so consumed with work and then planning your father's funeral... but it had been nothing like this. Aki sexed you like you were the only girl in the world... like he had something to prove... All. Weekend. Long.

He left Power and Denji to their own facilities for the most part, only leaving once to drop off some food and ensure they hadn't burned his place to the ground. Otherwise, his phone was on do not disturb and he was under or on top of you. His stamina was senseless. So much so that there wasn't an inch of your home left unfucked. Yet part of you knew he was still hiding something.

You were sure the Blood and Chainsaw fiends were probably teasing him about his whereabouts at this very moment. No matter, you'd be seeing all three of them shortly and wondered how you'd be able to contain yourself around him.

You do your morning routine—yoga, a quick shower, breakfast. You also take a little more time to color correct and cover the bruises on the parts of your body others could see. You pop some over-the-counter painkillers to ease your soreness. After you get in uniform, you stash the money in your purse and head out the door. During your morning commute, you are racked with flashbacks, which you try to distract yourself from. Traffic is heavier than usual. You turn up the radio and tap your foot to the rhythm but notice yourself returning to thinking about Aki. Now, your attention is focused on the empty gun you saw on your countertop and the frenzied state he came back to you in. You would have to find the time to ask him about it today. That is, if he wasn't purposely vague like he typically was. You figured the two of you were much too close for that now.

~~

When you pull your car into the only open space, Aki's Porsche is parked next to you. He is still in the driver seat with his head in his hands, looking somewhat disheveled. You aren't completely sure, but it looks like he's been crying. It isn't long before he notices you and straightens himself up. You both exit your vehicles and your suspicious are confirmed because his eyes are slightly red and puffy. It wouldn't be appropriate to ask him about it now, so you leave your thoughts where they are.

"Do you think it's a good idea for us to come in together?"

Aki sniffles. If he was trying to hide the fact he'd been crying, he was doing a terrible job.

"You think I'm worried about appearances, [Y/n]? I do what I want." He chuckles and grabs your hand, ushering you to the door leading into the building.

You weren't sure how comfortable you were with being paraded around by Aki, especially at work, so when you get inside the lobby you draw some distance between the two of you. He sucks his teeth, obviously annoyed by your sudden action.

Although you loved the way he touched you, no part of you wanted to blur lines into relationship territory. After all, he was still your superior, still a gang leader, still shrouded in mystery, and a big part of you still hated his guts most of the time. Everything was happening so fast too, so even if he wanted to take it there you definitely weren't ready. Grief still had a dark cloud over you.

Makima calls you to her office to give your squad a quick debrief about the mission you were about to start. First, you would need to meet with the squad you'd be teaming up with. She informed you it consisted of three Devil Hunters from Kyoto. You already didn't like working too much with the team you already had and you weren't too excited about adding three more factors to the equation. It was clear you also needed time to sort out the way your new dynamic with Aki would look at the workplace by the way you could see him eyefucking you in your peripheral. He was also trying to slither his way behind you. After the events of this weekend, he had an even heavier dose of audacity.