chapter 6: revelations

cw: gun violence

-----

It's been over 24 hours since you last saw Aki. Strangely, you didn't see him at all at work today—a welcome relief from the tension he'd be torturing you with. But you also missed his presence. Already, you had begun to develop a weird, conflicting adoration for the way he frequently toyed with you and you hated it.

The workday was long. Filled with a bunch of patrolling with not a single Devil in sight, people watching, and Power and Denji irking your last nerves. You had also seen those two men leaving the parking lot again and part of you believed they wanted to be seen this time.

More importantly, you were going to be meeting Aki at the club in a couple of hours and you were looking forward to him telling you everything you were asking for. But you also were very nervous. So nervous, in fact, you were on your second glass of wine and one of the Valium your doctor had prescribed after your father's death.

Passing some time channel surfing and scrolling your phone, it is 6PM before you look at a clock again.

You take a quick shower and take your time getting dressed. Using a few dollops of Eco Styler gel, you lay your edges on the perimeter of your forehead and smooth some product on your palms before running it through your dark ringlets to give your hair some much-needed restoration. You definitely would be wearing pants this time around so Aki wouldn't have as much access to you. Regardless of your desire for him, you were not intending on a repeat of how he touched you the first day you met him.

The outfit for the evening was a royal blue halter top, not too far off from the color of Aki's eyes, dark-washed distressed jeans tapered to your ankles, blue canvas sneakers, a leather jacket for some extra edge, and large hoop earrings hanging from your earlobes. You only apply mascara, eyeliner, and a clear gloss to your face. You apply spritzes of your favorite perfume to all your pulse points—your neck, the insides of your wrists and elbows, the center of your chest, and your inner thighs.

Am I trying to impress him? This isn't a date in the slightest... you think while you fluff in the mirror. After all, you were paying extra attention to your appearance, down to the way your curls framed your oval face. You were even wearing matching undergarments, which were more of a confidence booster for you than an expectation of any sort of action this evening.

Still slightly sedated from the Valium you'd taken an hour or so before, you decided it would not be in your best interest to drive so you call a taxi to transport you to the club. You wanted to arrive a little early to gain a better sense of your environment and unwind. It doesn't take long for your ride to arrive and you spend the trip in silence, attempting to collect your thoughts and pondering a bit over what Aki might tell you.

When you get to the club, you bypass the bouncer (a different one from who had harassed you before) and head directly to the bar. The room is just as hazy as you remember: a combination of cigarettes and cannabis and a hint of booze. The club is dimly lit and that only seems to make the haze even thicker and adds an air of mystery to the place, making it easier to concentrate on the music. The same scantily clad women were prancing throughout the floors, serving clients drinks, food, and conversation.

"A whiskey, neat," you call out to the bartender when they make eye contact with you. Their skillful hands work to pour you a drink as you continue to take in the surroundings. The liquor feels welcoming on your lips and warming to your chest. It is a familiar taste—whiskey had always been comforting to you. It was your father's favorite and you frequently shared a glass or two with him while he was still living. Time goes by slowly, but faster than you realize because you soon notice a tap on your shoulder and the scent of Aki's cologne.