chapter 13: tension & frustration

He's always asking for something, you think to yourself as you step down the hallway.

Since the day he hemmed you up in the supply closet, you've been purposely keeping your distance from Aki—ignoring his advances, his texts, his calls, his gifts. As far as you were concerned, whatever "pact" you had was on pause until he could gain some decorum. You never lost sight of what Makima told you, not wanting to end up hurt by fucking around with this bad boy who also happened to be your direct supervisor. You weren't sure if Makima also knew his double identity and, frankly, you didn't care. But spilling his secrets would prove a bit too messy for your liking, you figured, so you were choosing to stay quiet for now.

You're quickly approaching almost two months since you've been a Public Safety Devil Hunter and as you evaluate your surroundings, you realize great dick and money might not even be worth the hassle. Your Do-Not-Engage strategy seemed to have Aki frazzled, and you took delight in it.

He just asked to see you for "something important." You're not quite sure why you agreed to his request, but you figure after weeks of cold shoulder, the least you could do is hear him out.

On the way to the conference room, Angel passes you with a look of envy and attitude. You barely knew them, and yet every time they were around you, they gave off an air of irritation... when they weren't trying to be in Aki's face. Maybe Angel knew the two of you had something, and it was very clear how bad they pined for your paramour.

"Well, good morning to you too," you scoff and roll your eyes. You could be just as petty.

"Trouble in paradise, hon?" Angel cooly retorts.

"I suggest you mind your business and focus on the job at hand. Besides, he's not all that. I promise."

Angel's eyebrows raise and they nod slowly, yet nonchalantly. Their pursed lips and closed eyes undermine their irritation.

"Mhm... if you say so."

Angel doesn't believe you, and to be honest, you don't even believe yourself. Despite how skilled you were at ignoring him, Aki's effect on you was indisputable and absolutely maddening. Your heart skipped a beat when he grabbed your hand just moments before. His cologne was just as intoxicating as it was when you first met him. Parts of you still wanted to explore the sadness behind his blue eyes, even though you knew he was no good for you. It made you sick how one person could have this great of an effect on your desires and emotions.

You take your seat and Aki clumsily staggers into the room. He was certainly off his game. When he reaches the front, he clears his throat to call attention. You examine your nails instead, focusing on the space between the acrylic and your cuticle—a sign that you needed to get a fill-in sometime this week. Maybe you'll change the shape too. It would be a welcome deviation from your usual almond shape.

WOMP. WOMP. WOMP.

He drones on and seems visibly annoyed that no one is actively listening. You look up to see Angel glaring at him.

Seriously, what the fuck is their problem?

"He doesn't even want you," you mutter under your breath.

Then, you silently chuckle and decide to play along, searing your eyes through Aki while he speaks, like you had laser vision. His clear discomfort riles you up. It wouldn't have to be the way if the man knew boundaries. You cross your arms and impatiently tap your foot on the freshly waxed linoleum under you, narrowing your big, brown eyes in his direction.

You notice he loosens his collar and runs his hand through his slicked up topknot. He was trying to get through his address so quickly in an effort to end the unnerving grimaces in front of him.