Flower Show (August 1913)

Bắt đầu từ đầu

Thomas turned back to his daughter for a brief moment, "I wouldn't necessarily call it walking, but she insisted on not wanting to be carried," he chuckled.

"She's made tremendous progress in the last few weeks," the maid observed. The girl began mimicking everything and everyone, wanting to walk whenever she could, and even beginning to dislike the baby food, which is why Mrs. Patmore began cooking regular child-friendly meals.

"She's almost 18 months now," Thomas shrugged. Although Mrs. Hughes suggested he read some parenting books about the first few years with a child, Thomas saw it as a waste of money. After all, for centuries, child-rearing had been possible without books.

Emma finally reached the adults, looking at them with her big blue eyes. "Do you want me to carry you, little dwarf?" Thomas asked. "No no," shaking her head, Emma turned around before the next flight of stairs. She crawled backwards with her legs first down the next steps.

"You must have a lot of free time now," O'Brien remarked.

"She's getting faster, isn't she?" Thomas said optimistically.

"At any rate, Napier has no idea. Only four people know he was in her room: you, me, Lady Mary, and possibly Daisy, and I haven't said anything to anyone," and continued her descent. Thomas had no choice but to lift the little girl now and follow the maid.

"I didn't reveal anything, I just wrote that Lady Mary's morals were questionable."

"To whom did you write this?"

"To an old friend. A footman for Lord Savident", Thomas explained.

"You know what they say about old Savident. Not quite right in the head, but very chatty."

"You won't betray me, will you? I have enough trouble already." Emma, who had until then been peacefully resting in her father's arms, began to fidget with her legs. She tried to push herself away from Thomas with her arms because she wanted to walk herself and not be carried.

"What happened? Why are you upset?", O'Brien asked.

"Mister Bates saw me steal a bottle of wine," the rest of the conversation was drowned out by Emma's crying.

The little girl only calmed down when Thomas set her on the ground. Emma stood up and hurried after Thomas, like a little duckling following its mother. But then there was the next staircase. The staircase that ended directly in the hallway of the basement, in front of the servants hall.

"Daddy!" Emma cried desperately, "Daddy!" She didn't even attempt to crawl to climb the steep staircase. Now she stood there, unable to move forward or backward. Her feet were on different steps, causing her to slowly lose her balance. But before Emma could tumble headfirst down the stairs, William - the second footman - caught her safely.

"Don't worry, Emmi," William spoke gently. "I'll help you," and he reached for Emma's small hand. Step by step, they slowly descended the stairs together. "The steps are still a bit too big for you, huh?"

"Uh-huh," nodded Emma in agreement as if she had understood the question.

"Where should I take you? Mrs. Patmore, Daisy, Mrs. Hughes, or do you want to go to Thomas?"

"Daddy."

"Thomas," William nodded in agreement. He still held Emma's hand as they set off to find the first footman.

Sitting on her father's lap, Emma played with a wooden puzzle. The farm animals need to be put back in their right places. Emma held the cat in her hand, trying to position the puzzle piece in the small indentations, but the cat just wouldn't fit.