~~ EIGHT ~~

The light fox dissipated. I tapped my finger on my chin. "So I shouldn't have even been able to use it, is what you're saying?"

"Yes. The last one wasn't anywhere near as strong as what you seem to be. I waited until you'd appear to show me just how pathetic the foxes had become."

I glared at her for that comment. "I have an ancient book that told the story of the original seven. It says Greed has control over the elements."

"Indeed. That's the power I covert, the three remaining elements. I left fire behind because I knew if they had that, they'd be complacent. Fire is important, along with water. Back then, they were precious resources, more important than the other two. Had I left air or earth, they'd have been suspicious. But I wasn't daft enough to leave them all of Fire. I still hold some of it."

I looked at her long and hard, skin prickling. She had the other elements. Hunger gnawed at me. The words slipped out of me before I could measure the consequences.

"Then give them to me. You have no need what with being trapped in this cave. I have a need."

She whirled on me, her tails sharp and whipping around her. The cave was plunged into a sickly purple light as the flames overhead burst into indigo. She bared her teeth, razor sharp fangs that glistened in the fire.

"You think I'd share? This is my power to command! Before those pathetic deities trapped me, I ruled as Queen."

I stood my ground as the golden rings on her tails shattered into shards. Her figure grew until she towered, a blazing force of pure power breathing down on me.

Inside me, something curdled. An instinct, but not to run.

To fight.

"What makes you think you of all people deserves it? I've lost count of the ones before you who had come to slake their thirst with this power, to steal it from me because I am as ancient as the hills and trees? I tore them to shreds before they even landed a hit!"

Wind howled around us, the walls cracking and shuddering. The firelight sputtered then surged, licking towards her outstretched tails. Her fur rippled as lightning zinged across it and bursts of static crackled against her teeth. Such raw strength.

My lips peeled back, the feel of incisors growing. Within, a fire burst to life. Flames travelled my veins. My skin was a network of dark red. I dared not move even as the ground rocked beneath my feet. Instead, I stared her down.

"You either give me that power or I'll rip it from your cold, dead body." My flames exploded free and twisted around me until I stood in a fox made of infernos that rivalled her size.

The heat of my flames scorched the back of my throat and I could feel my skin bubbling from the intensity; but I cared not. I wanted this power more than anything in this world. I craved it, hungered for it, couldn't live without it. The very thought of it being almost within my grasp stole my breath away.

But more than that, I needed it. This power was not for myself. With that power, I'd be able to hold my own against those demons. I'd be able to protect my friends and family like I never could before.

She cocked her head to the side and I braced for an attack that never came. She slowly shrank down to her normal size. Her tails return to their usual fluffy state and she sat back on her haunches. The soft glow returned to the cave as everything quietened down.

I didn't relax. She grinned, fangs back to normal, and with a flick of her paw dispelled my flames.

I kept my shock inside. All along she could have disabled me.