~~ SEVEN ~~

The alcove opened up into a cave that I could barely fathom the size of. Liones' castle was the only thing that could rival it, the walls so distant that even my enhanced eyesight could barely make them out in the shadows.

A massive protrusion from the ceiling served as a naturally formed chandelier, small fires roaring on the spindly arms. It had to be at least as big as Hawk's mum and bathed the area around me in so much light it was like midday in here. Off to my right were the crashing waves that I could see through cathedral sized arches; but they made no sound as they struck the black stone balcony that stretched out to the sea.

The sky above the water was dark as midnight, a thousand twinkling stars smeared across the expanse. My skin prickled again as I walked forward slowly. A rough footpath, barely a shade different from the stone on either side, extended towards a raised dais. Foxes of various size and shapes frolicked and preened in everlasting visages caught by marble around me.

Now whoever resided her was powerful, no doubt about it. I ran my hand along the top of a fox as I made my way, the magic tugging at my chest to hurry forward. I'd have to tread carefully. The magic directed me towards the dais.

Upon it lazed a wolf-sized fox. Her pristine white fur practically glowed in the firelight. She unfurled herself and stretched. Nine fluffy tails extended, a solid, golden ring snugly fit on each one.

My fox form paled in comparison to her, in both looks and size. She was hauntingly beautiful for a vulpine and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a touch jealous.

Intelligent amber eyes locked onto mine before she raised her nose in the air and sneered down at me. Had I ears, they'd be pinned back in immediate annoyance.

"Another human? Honestly, you two-legged weaklings don't know when to stop. Come on then, out with it, start your spiel."

I bristled and stopped about ten metres from her. Screw being humble, her voice evoked an innate need to take her down a peg. "I don't know what the hell you're going on about."

She rolled her eyes. "Don't play dumb. There's only two ways to enter my cave and there's no way you came through Istar. What is it that you want? Money, fame, love?" She sat on her haunches and licked delicately at a paw.

"Greed."

She froze with her eyes on me. She pointed the paw at me. "You're not a fox."

"And you're not very helpful," I quipped. "Jenna said I'd find someone who could answer my questions but I only see an obnoxious fox."

"You better bite your tongue before you say something that makes me mad. It has been an extremely long time since a druid has sent a fox through to me. Why are you human?"

"I didn't very well have much of a choice in the matter."

She cocked her head to the side. "You have me intrigued now, Fox of Greed. Pray tell, do you have a name?"

"Estra. And I guess you're also a Fox of Greed too."

She burst into laughter so musical I swear the marble foxes vibrated in a wish to come to life and dance before her.

"I can't even remember the last time someone made a joke so great. My dear little fox, I am not a Fox of Greed, I am Greed."

My mind flicked back to the book. The Vices of the world. The fox with her nine tails and the ability to command the elements.

"You're one of the Original Seven."

Her eyes twinkled with delight. "And you are full of surprises. Colour me impressed. Pray tell, little fox Estra, can your story also impress me?"