~~ ZERO ~~

The wind whistled through the trees, tousled my fur. I yawned and stretch, toes flaring then kneading the soft ground. My nose wiggled to test the new scents in the air but they didn't spark any interest so I relaxed again, dozing in the warm sun. It reminded me of calm middays with my family.

I'll just lie here a little longer. The rest of the day can wait.

My tail flicked up and down, ears twitching slightly at a cricket's chirp and a flock of birds settling noisily in the tree, obviously attempting to whisper the gossip in their sing-song voices. I shifted my head, irked by their sudden, obnoxious arrival, as the next swirl of air brought the scent of roasting pork.

My mouth watered. I hadn't had lunch yet and my last taste of pork had been so long ago, back when--

I was the Greedy Fox and I took whatever I wanted, no matter the cost. Dashing forward quickly, an explosion from the bush, I ran straight at the pig lying on a pile of leaves and, as they watched in shocked silence, I scooped it up and made off with it.

I was on my paws in an instant, eyes wide. A horizon touched by mountains and storm clouds filled my view. Rolling hills to my left and right, a steep drop before me and a cave with a gentle stream that trickled over moss covered rocks right beside me.

No broken castle, no broken bodies.

No knights, no sins, no princesses, no demons.

My tiny heart thumped in my chest.

No buildings in any direction, no tavern waiting patiently for us to return home, no people as far as my eyes could see.

I remembered... everything. They flickered through my mind so fast that I could catch naught but snippets. My human form, my human friends, the battle for the kingdom, Leraj's death, that strange power, Hawk's courageous stand, my own inevitable demise.

The black ball of death. Red fire on my arm.

Too late, too late.

I sank onto my haunches, head bowed and disbelief coursing through me.

I knew the truth for what it was, those final moments on the battlefield.

I died.

I died. Hendrickson had killed me.

So how was I still alive?

Note: This is basically CH70 from Book 1. Just to remind people what we are up to 

~

Welcome back my fellow readers! Strap yourselves in, it's going to be one hell of a ride. Dive into the next chapter to see what awaits Estra in the pages of the Greedy Fox series Book #2