Ch. 13- Breached

"Even if I now saw you only once, I would long for you through worlds, worlds."

—Emmeline Meryn—

My mother used to say to cherish every moment because sometimes you will never have another chance to savor it. Life moves on in a blink of an eye even with us immortals and being one does not guarantee our safety. She was a wise woman who fought hard so I could have this life I have, but still, I miss her every day. As does Carsten and Willow. Our Father the most. There is a deep sadness within all of us as we think of our loss, but we still keep our heads up so no one sees us as weak Fae.

But I am not sure I can be strong at the moment. Many of my kind are dying right in front of me as they are trying to keep the shield up, but more shadow creatures keep crawling in. My eyes are glassy with tears while I keep my own light shield surrounding both of me and Kerim. He collapsed on the floor coughing up blood, one of my hands pressing onto his chest wound to keep him from bleeding out. So many scream for help, mine one of them. So much blood and dead soldiers, but I was not about to let Kerim be one of them. Never. He was healing slowly and we certainly did not have the time for so many shadows were attacking my shield, snarling as my light touched their scaly skin. "Meli," Kerim whispered.

My eyes found him instantly like it was the first time he noticed me. Kerim, with his long white hair, was now coated in his blood. His white armor was the same color with deep cuts all around it as his sword lay right next to him. When the shield lowered and the creatures entered, he tried to fight all of them. But he was outnumbered and at least two of them ripped open his chest, in which I ran to him within seconds and created my own shield. "Kerim," I replied back, my voice panicky and out of breath. I was losing energy minute by minute and soon I will not be able to keep the shield intact.

Kerim's pale lips twisted into a soft smile. "I am not great at words, Emmeline. Not in the past and certainly not now. But your stubborn cousin has made me brave."

"You are brave always," I slipped out.

He shook his head. "I was not. If I was brave, then I would have told you how much I liked you back when we attended the academy. Instead, I walked past you every day like you were another student and did not even make eye contact with you because I was terrified," Kerim's voice was rough as he fought the pain in his chest, cursing in his breath but continued even when my heart was ready to burst out of my chest. This was not what I expected from the youngest Fae second in command in the army. "Terrified that you wouldn't feel as though I was worthy of your attention.'

My knuckles clenched as I poured another ray of light that made the shield stronger, then focused on Kerim who slowly started to heal. I had no idea why I kept my hand pressed to his chest if his wound turned into a nasty scratch. "So you pretended I did not exist?" I smirked, knowing he and I had more in common than I thought. "I guess my own fear did the same," My head turned to the sky which was blackened with darkness as the shadows either flew through the shield or crawled, afraid they would soon diminish my powers and kill both of us. "Though the only fear I have are those bastards trying to get in."

Once I turned again, Kerim's calloused hands full of blood were holding my waist, his silky gray eyes staring into my pierce blue ones. My arms were above my head to hold the shield in place but my breath caught at his touch. The touch I craved for years. Silently, Kerim trailed one hand up to my collarbone and then to my jaw as though he was trying to find any weaknesses. Like I was one of the many strategies he learned in training to defeat an enemy. "You are the most exquisite woman I ever laid eyes on, Emmeline Meryn. The first time in History of Magic when you walked in with Soari and the others, I knew. Just as I knew every time you raised your hand during class because you already knew the information. Smart, brave, utterly fucking beautiful, and powerful."