16 | the monthly mafia

yiying and euijoo plus a confused and nervous nicholas stood in front of the television of where yiying's massive amount of friends were watching. the girl looked at her crush, glaring at him for letting her friend group inside despite the apartment being able to fit all of them in.

"move your asses and let us appreciate spongebob!" and "nooo!! don't block spongebob!!" were the most common shouts and yells from the group of friends when the girl stepped in front of the television which were quickly shut up by the same said girl who seemed semi-pissed and confused on how they got the address of the apartment as she made sure she had told both minjae and soojin who knew of the shared apartment, to keep quiet.

"not until i get an answer why all of you are here at least?"

seohan answers, "we wanted to play mafia and you weren't responding yesterday so minjae and soojin said to meet them here and we did. yiying how is your apartment so big actually?" and she sighs— glaring at the two best friends who raised their hands above their heads, pleading guilty towards the half chinese.

she moves out of the way, "so you guys wanna play mafia with these idiots?" the question is thrown towards the two boys who were chilling in the kitchen. euijoo shrugs, "why not? it's been a while since i last played."

yiying's eyes turn to nicholas who seems fidgety, "sure, but explain the rules to me okay? i forgot everything you told me last time." and the entertainment major nods.

"i'll start the game."

—— 🔪

the game was simple as the roles were on folded papers, concealing their identities until folded open. players picked a piece of paper, checked and confirmed their roles in a different room before going back to sit down with the rest after leaving the paper in the container. though usually the game didn't include one person as someone needed to make sure everyone was doing things correctly.

it was haewon who was doing the honors' of emceeing the night of the long-awaited monthly mafia.

"all right! okay, i assume everyone checked their roles and knows their roles right? so let's start the first round— or should i say the first night?" and everyone lowered their heads at the sound of first night— some telling others to not look up as that was consider cheating.
the student professor called out the three mafias to choose one person to kill before going back to sleep before the doctor awoke and chose a citizen to revive. the police was the last one to awake and choose a person to identify.

the police had not managed to find one mafia.

"all right everyone! the mafia corp has chosen their first victim!" haewon announced and everyone waited for the announcement when they woke up again— their hearts pounding as the fear of them being chosen closed in.
"sadly, the doctor couldn't help this person as they had died from poison, i'm sorry jae but you have died from diarrhea." everyone is shocked aside from hayoung and nayoon who started to laugh at the way soojin's older sister has said the death was.

"diarrhea—! hey!" and the student professor pretends to not hear the boy while she gave the pin of "DEAD" towards the boy. he grumbled, taking the pin and pinning it to his shirt.
"the dead must stay silent towards the end of the game," the emcee happily sang towards jae— earning a scowl from him and a mumbled, "oh i know, it doesn't take an idiot to know!"

she only smiled, and let the rest debate on who was the mafia. "my senses are giving yiying," minjae accused as the accused girl only sighed.
"for the millionth time minjae, just because i'm silent doesn't mean i just murdered someone," she spoke back, leaning into nicholas who was sitting right besides her. minjae's eyes stayed on them, caution around nicholas. "yeah and what about last time when we played monthly mafia—"

"no no no, i have a feeling it's ailin," seohan accused next and the chinese girl stood to her feet on the couch, making nayoon and zuki quite shocked at the sudden footing and pressure on the couch.
"this bisexual motherfucker— seohan have i ever accused you of murder in this game before?! no right?! why are you accusing me then??!" she questioned as the biochem major pulled her down.

"by the alining of the stars tonight— you have no right to speak!" yelled out the astrology major as seohan pretended to play along with longer words including some astrology he learnt from the internet (ailin was not impressed), "no but like, i feel like it'd be either euijoo or woochan." the only japanese out of the group spoke as the two boys shook their heads to disagree with the accusation, quickly making everyone understand that they were not the mafias.

the familiar sound of the mafia game timer was up, and everyone had to choose someone to vote out (no one voted out anyone), "soojin's been quiet.." pointed out minjae which only resulted a hand on her shoulder, that hand belonging to soojin.
"my dearest friend, i'm gonna ask the mafia to kill you next." threatened the girl towards the arts major who only said the same thing back before lowering their heads.

"all right! night time as come, let's go to sleep now kids!" haewon spoke as the mafias woke up, signaling to kill someone near woochan and all three agree.
the doctor woke up and chooses himself to revive this round as he had a feeling he was gonna die this round.
the police awoke and choose the person by her side, getting a thumbs down from haewon indicting that they were not the mafia. she silently groaned before going back to sleep.

jae makes eye contact with haewon who only laughed at his reaction to seeing the line-up of mafias, who was the doctor and who was the police. it managed to make him fall to his knees as he punched the floor of the apartment— silently shouting into the floor as they all awoke to see that only,

"okay continuing.. officer hayoung.. i'm so sorry, but you have said lu died from poison." spoke haewon as she gave the pin towards her.
"goddamnit, i swear to god," and soon realization struck within the game that the police had died.

the game continued, until only one mafia remained to kill off one more person to win the whole round. it was only left with nicholas, yiying, and soojin and everyone seemed like they knew who was the mafia.
"soojin! how dare you kill minjae like that!" spoke yiying as nicholas watched the two friends argue like he was invisible.

"i say it's nicholas who killed minjae!" and nicholas started to say that was nonsense since the girl scared him to death and it was soojin who killed minjae (minjae was on the side of the room glaring at the actual mafia who killed her last round).
"all right, vote who gets killed!"

two hands were voted to soojin, one to nicholas.
safe to say, nicholas had another black eye from minjae and soojin that yiying helped to get ice for even if he said that she didn't have to.
"so where's the prize?" asked nayoon the mafia who was voted off, and the girl gestured to her flat mate who nodded— mind you, nicholas was resting his head on her lap for the ice pack that was pressed to his eye and no, it was yiying who asked him to lie on her lap.

"treasure hunt anyone?" seohan's head raises up, "don't lie?"
"no, just treasure hunt, five minutes is up now!" and everyone, aside from euijoo, yiying and nicholas started to search the place.

"we have to clean up their mess later,"
"they'll have motivation to clean everything up if we say we'll give them money for it."
"how much though?"
"hmm, a fifty thousand won maybe?"
"per person or?"
"goddamn, i feel broke just listening to you talk,"