Taking a Breather

Start from the beginning

The truth bubbled up her throat like some terrible monster refusing to be contained. 'I think—' she choked out. 'I think I'm a doppelganger.' She wasn't sure if she felt better now she'd said it, but the act of trusting the professors felt like throwing herself off a cliff.

'You're very lucky, then,' said Stery. 'I'll explain more to you next year, once you've had time to process everything, but a doppelganger raised without knowing they're a doppelganger is a dangerous thing.'

Fitzsimmons held up a hand for Stery to be silent. They looked at Bagsy. 'Let me be clear; we knew you were a doppelganger from the beginning. It's one of the reasons we allowed a private room. Depending on their dreams, doppelgangers can shift in their sleep. It's rare in those that don't know they're doppelgangers, but not impossible.'

Bagsy's eyes widened as she thought of her second year, when she'd spent a good amount of time sleeping in the girl's dormitory. She decided not to mention that to them.

Fitzsimmons continued. 'We would have told you, but we were advised that telling a doppelganger what they are when they are raised unaware can...' They paused, straightening their bug-like glasses on their face. 'Can kill them.'

Stery nodded. 'Your adviser was correct. The shock can be overwhelming. A doppelganger has to build and maintain a true identity as they grow to ground them whilst they explore their abilities to shapeshift. When someone doesn't know they're a doppelganger and finds out, the shock can sever them from their true self, leading to an endless shift that turns them to dust.'

It was a lot to take in, so Bagsy didn't bring herself to respond. She just sat. And listened.

Fitzsimmons said, 'We'll offer you more advice over the summer. We won't force this meeting on you longer than absolutely necessary, given what you've been through.' The assurance felt hollow coming from someone Bagsy wasn't sure she could trust. Fitzsimmons said, 'Unless you have any questions, you may go.'

Bagsy didn't move. She wasn't sure how to. Softly, she said, 'What about the woman? The one Lewis infected?'

Starrett frowned. 'Swiftie? The carriage driver?'

'Yeah.'

Fitzsimmons clasped their hands in their lap. 'The woman in question is currently stabilised and at St Mungo's. Her family are with her. She would have died that night, but Greenda managed to aid her before she was brought to Hogwarts.' They tensed. 'Still, she was infected with a fatal disease from the attacker. We don't know when, but she will pass away eventually.'

Stery was fiddling with one of the star charms at the end of his beard, looking like he wanted to be anywhere but here. 'Probably within the month,' he said. 'At least, thanks to Greenda, she'll get to say goodbye to her family.'

'Thank you for telling me,' said Bagsy, not looking at any of them. That was two lives on her head, then. Three, if you counted Pepsini. More, if you counted the acting troupe.

'I'm sure your friends are wondering where you are,' Fitzsimmons said, giving a nod to Starrett who stood up. 'Professor Starrett will take you too them.'

Bagsy let herself be led down the ladder and to the courtyard.

Starrett stopped abruptly. 'I'm afraid that I have more bad news.'

'What is it?'

'Firstly,' Starrett said, Bagsy drooping at the fact there was more than one thing on the list, 'your parents have had to be informed.' Bagsy shrugged. They wouldn't even open the letter they'd been sent. 'And Rebontil, too.'

At that, Bagsy stiffened. 'Where is she?'

Starrett looked confused. 'She isn't here.'

'Bontie didn't come?'