An Unsent Letter

Lunch had been a selection of sandwiches. Bagsy had chosen carrot and cucumber, with a side of hummus and tomatoes. Her stomach was feeling queasy at the thought of how much people knew about her, and how much people were looking at her, so she didn't want to risk anything heavier.

The great hall was now an intolerable environment. With her sandwiches in hand she rushed from the hall, intending to leave straight away.

'Bagsy?' someone asked. Bagsy started, finding Neve looking up at her from one of the benches. 'I wondered if I could ask you a question... about my future... if that's alright?'

Bagsy paused, feeling the eyes of many people on her. They'd think she was heartless if she turned down Neve, who was perhaps the single sweetest person in all of Hogwarts. Mezrielda, standing next to Bagsy and waiting for her to grab her lunch, was shaking her head, obviously thinking she should leave this alone.

'Sure, if it can be quick.'

Mezrielda sighed in disapproval.

Neve wrung her hands together, also noticing how many eyes were on them. 'S-sure... I just wanted to know... if you see anything about my name in my future?'

Bagsy furrowed her brow. 'Your name?'

'Yeah.'

'Uhh.' Bagsy closed her eyes, hoping some kind of vision would come to her. Nothing did. Instead, she wondered why it was Neve would ask this question. Maybe she could tell her what she was wanting to hear.

Did Neve want her name to be famous? Not a chance. Neve was like Bagsy – she'd wilt under the spotlight.

Did she want her name to be forgotten? Bagsy thought that was unlikely as well. Being forgotten wasn't nice, even for people who liked being out of the spotlight. If Teresa forgot Neve's name Bagsy was sure that would make Neve miserable. What was it then?

'Yes,' Bagsy murmured mysteriously, forcing a look of pensive concentration onto her face and hoping that, for once, her acting was convincing. 'I see that your name... will become what you dream of it.' Opening her eyes, Bagsy saw Neve was near tears. 'Oh dear!' Bagsy rushed out, feeling awful at the thought she'd said the wrong thing. 'Oh, I'm so sorry!'

'No!' Neve forced out, smiling. 'Thank you. That's a wonderful thing to hear.'

Bagsy's raised her eyebrows, surprised but also relieved. 'I'm glad I could've helped.'

Mezrielda pushed Bagsy along. 'Come on,' she said. 'We've obtained our food, let us vacate this crowded location.'

'Someone's using their big words,' said Bagsy, making sure she had all the sandwiches she wanted. She didn't want to return if she didn't have to.

'Shut up,' Mezrielda said without any force. 'Be careful. The more you make predictions for people, the more you'll get asked to.'

'If I have a gift it's better to share it,' Bagsy reasoned as they exited the hall and started down a corridor.

Mezrielda stopped in her tracks. 'Gift? You don't seriously believe in that, do you?'

'Yes. I must have the sight. It's the only way to explain Primrose's test. The evidence is irrefutable.'

'Irrefutable is a strong word...'

'What, so you'd say it's futable?'

'Congratulations. You've upgraded from strong words to ones that don't exist.'

Bagsy shot Mezrielda a look, leaving the topic there.

Soon, they were munching in peace in their nook of the library, having snuck the food in. Bagsy even gave some water and plant food to her matured stampelia, that was now as tall as she was and approaching the top of the window.