The Second Episode

After Mezrielda and Bagsy had told Professor Wattleseed what had happened, he had instantly sent word to the school about Blythurst's condition. Later that day, as Bagsy gathered her things to head to the acting troupe's tent, Eldritch fluttered in through her private room's window. Landing on one of the owl perches she'd installed, he proudly held out a talon with a message.

Professor Fitzsimmons was informing her, given Bagsy had seen the incident earlier that day, that Professor Blythurst had been taken to St Mungo's hospital and was recovering from his illness. His condition was uncertain but the healers were doing everything they could to help him.

Letting out a sharp breath, Bagsy fell back onto her bed and tossed the letter to the side, not wanting to look at it too long. Was Blythurst going to die? Had the conversation stressed him out so much that his heart had failed?

Was this all Bagsy's fault?

The bed shifted as Eldritch landed next to her and nudged her cheek with his beak.

'Want a treat?' Bagsy asked, offering one to him. Eldritch ignored it in favour of hopping onto her belly, fluffing his feathers out as he settled down, and tucking his head in as his eyes drooped closed. Glancing out the window, where it was still rather bright, Bagsy decided she could stay like that, giving Eldritch small pets, for a little while before heading off.

'Did you get a letter?' Bagsy asked when, an hour later, she reached the main entrance to Hogwarts. Mezrielda had been waiting for her there.

Mezrielda nodded. 'I'm sure he'll be fine.'

'Are you?'

Mezrielda hesitated, pushing off the wall she'd been leaning against. 'Actually. I'm not. Frankly, he's old, he's tired, and he's very ill. Only time can let us know if he'll be alright.'

'I shouldn't have tried to get him to talk to Pepsini.'

'He was already ill, Bagsy. If the fault lies with anyone, it's with Pepsini.'

'If you say so. Either way, I have to be focussed now.'

'That's the spirit,' Mezrielda said. 'Use that brain of yours. I know you have one in there, somewhere,' she teased. 'Are you sure you don't want me to wait in the clearing?'

'Yeah,' said Bagsy. 'Otherwise you won't get to enjoy the episode with everyone else.'

'Enjoy is a strong word.'

'I'll see you after it's done,' said Bagsy, pushing the door open and exiting.

'Yes. See you,' Mezrielda responded as if she was standing on ice that would crack if she spoke too loud.

Pushing her apprehension down, Bagsy set off for the tent. No sooner had she pushed through the tent entrance, double checking she had her permission slip to stop the tiles letting out loud noises or scents, than Three had reached her and was pulling her to hair and make-up.

'This episode is going to be just amazing,' said Three.

'Yep.' Bagsy nodded in false agreement as she was pushed into a seat so Three could begin their work. Soon, she 'had her face on', as Three put it, as well as Rose Deprive's ridiculous dress.

Lastly, Three plastered the indents in Bagsy's shoulder, whilst Bagsy clenched her fists and tensed her muscles against the pain.

'Three!' another stunt worker called from across the tent. Three paused, a tsunami of foundation brushes hovering behind them, waiting to be used to finish blending the foundation over the plaster she'd shoved into Bagsy's scars.

'Yes?'

'We need some help with the final scene's set – do you have a second?'

Grumbling, Three waved their hand so the brushes collapsed into a large pot. 'Sure,' they said, waving politely to Bagsy and mouthing 'be right back' as they left.