Chapter 4

"I'm here with Kevin Matthews after a blazing 200-meter run where he came in as an unpopular underdog and left as the victor. Kevin, how are you feeling?" 

"Pretty normal," Kevin replied with a deadpan expression. 

A school reporter had beckoned him over for an interview and since the entire event was being streamed on youtube he knew quite a lot of people would be watching. Just the thought alone was a little unnerving.

He was currently having trouble even deciding what his expression should be.

"Normal, he says!" the woman reporter exclaimed with a light chuckle. "Well, Mr.Matthews that performance was anything but normal! But with that demeanor is it safe to say that it was something you expected?"

Kevin nodded. "I don't enter a race expecting to lose...you know? And I've been training very hard for the season so it may come as a surprise to you and the watchers but for me, it's nothing I didn't expect."

"I love that confidence! Congratulations again and will you be competing in any other races this evening?"

"Yea, the 400 meters and 100 meters, and I think the 4 by 1 relay."

"Well, good luck in those races and I hope to see you back in the victor's circle again." She replied. It might've been Kevin's imagination but he could've sworn her voice rose in pitch at the end and her eyes surveyed him like a predator would their next meal.

"Well, if it isn't our superstar. Already making me wait 'till you're done with interviews, huh?" Michael asked with a grin as Kevin made his escape.

"That was...that was just awesome," Scarlett said. She seemed to be in much better spirits after watching his race.

She surprised Kevin by hugging him tightly, burying her face in his shoulder. Michael made a she's coo-coo circle sign next to his head, but he just didn't get it. Kevin hugged her back lightly, realizing exactly how she currently felt. It was the same when he watched Usain Bolt races after a bad day when he needed to escape from reality.

This was the motivation observers got from watching winners.

Scarlett pulled away, her face flushed with embarrassment."Uh, sorry."

"It's ok," Kevin replied. "Does this mean that you're going to run the 100 meters still?"

Scarlett hesitated. "Do you think I should?"

Kevin nodded. "It's just a showcase anyway. You get to see where you stack up against a potential regionals runner and how much improvement you're gonna need this season. It's a win-win even if you lose, in my opinion."

Scarlett pursed her lips as if digesting his words. "Ok, I'll do it." She said finally.

Michael let out a sigh. "Not like I've been telling you pretty much the same thing for the last five minutes or anything..."

"Shut up."

The announcer broadcasted that our lunch break would start now. Most of the athletes headed into the stands to be with their families or friends, including Scarlett who was actually moderately popular in her year.

"Hey, thanks for that." Michael said as he and Kevin resumed their spots on the field. Since it was now lunch break and the field events were on pause, not many people were around them having opted to spend their break in the stands instead.

"For what?" Kevin said through a mouthful of his sandwich.

"For what you said back there. I know you don't even actually believe that, Kevin Matthews finding some enlightenment in a loss? I'm more likely to meet Jenna Ortega before that happens!"