Chapter 2

"One more lap!" Coach Ryan's voice boomed as Kevin crossed the finish line for the 7th time already.

Usually, Kevin was all too eager to be up training as the roosters just started their crowing at 5 AM but recently his training had been akin to torture. The way the track and field showcase worked was that the track team was split into four houses along with any volunteers from the student body that made a certain time in the races they sought to compete in, or distance in field events. Thus the competitors were split randomly to represent their assigned houses. 

Kevin was assigned to Bodecia who didn't have any strong 400m runners in the under nineteen division which led to Coach Ryan asking if he was willing to fill the vacancy although he usually only ran the 100 and 200 meters. Of course, due to his love of running, Kevin accepted the position without much thought. 

Now that his morning practices had been altered to encompass running ridiculous amounts of laps to build endurance on top of his usual sprint training procedure though, he was starting to regret his decision more and more with each exhausted breath.

By the time he reached the last 200 meters on his now 8th lap, the wind lashing against his face no longer comforted him; instead, it stung his watering eyes which only added to the tremendous aching fatigue he was feeling.

'Is this how unfit people felt?', Kevin wondered.

He fell over at the finish line in an exhausted heap. He was breathing so hard he half expected his breath to show although it was spring and not winter.

"What are you so tired for, I even held back more than usual since you have the showcase later," Coach Ryan said.

"News flash Coach, having me run eight straight laps after my full workout instead of the usual ten --does not make it any less overkill," Kevin whined from the ground.

Coach Ryan rolled his eyes, helping him up. Kevin knew that one of Coach's biggest pet peeves was someone falling to the floor after a run, so considering he hadn't barked his head off he was being atleast a little considerate.

A boy ran up to the two. "I got a tasteless smoothie from hell for the fallen soldier and a milkshake for his general here." He said with a grin.

"Right on time, Michael." Coach Ryan said, taking the milkshake gratefully. Kevin couldn't tell if he enjoyed coaching or consuming those extra milky milkshakes more.

Michael gave Kevin a little pat on the back as he handed Kevin his beverage. "Not sure if this diabolical concoction will make you feel any better buddy but here you go."

Kevin smiled despite the roaring pain that currently clutched his calves. "Just what the doctor ordered."

Michael was the only person Kevin could consider his real friend, a companionship that spanned for as long as he could remember. The two were the same age and had grown up together. 

The smoothie he currently consumed was some healthy mixture that consisted of kale, cauliflower and who knew what other monstrosities but it was supposed to be good for athletes so he gulped it down, ignoring the nauseating smell that attacked him before the taste could even add the one-two punch to his tastebuds.

Michael made a gagging motion as he watched his friend force down the liquid. "I still don't know how you do it, man."

"By thinking of it as a sacrifice to be a winner," Kevin replied, doing his best to not actually throw up.

"That's what I like to hear," Coach Ryan said before greedily gulping down his milkshake. 

Some example he sets, Kevin thought to himself.