~Transitional update~

A/n: Just a short update to link smoothly the previous chapter to the next chapter.

​​​​​​​And to get you curious, as well, I admit😈

Beauty couldn't fall asleep, probably because his stomach was out of the habit to get overly stuffed, especially before bed time.
He was wondering why there were no creepy howls that night, even though it was already past midnight.

"I should better read something, maybe that way I could get sleepy. Luckily I still have one more book.", the prince mumbled while getting up from bed to look for the said book.
"Astrology Treatise? Hmm, this doesn't sound like a great read for the night time."

~Early in the morning~

" ChengCheng DiDi? I hope that nothing's wrong. I'm so happy to see you, but what are you doing here, at this early hour?
It would be too beautiful to be true, to actually miss me, as much as I miss you.", Liu HaiKuan got excited, and hopeful too, when noticing that Wang ZhuoCheng was waiting for him in front of the palace gate.

"Good morning Lord Liu HaiKuan!
Don't talk foolish, I came this early because you told me that you will go to the palace today, early in the morning.
I am just Xiao Zhan, The Prince of Peony's messenger, who asked me to pass to you these two messages. He thanks you in advance for your trouble.
One: he wanted to remind you to assure Her Royal Highness Princess Yang Zi that we are no more sick and we are ready to go back to the main Palace, if she would agree.
Two: Prince Xiao Zhan asks you to give this package to King Wang Yibo, along with his deep apology for borrowing the books from his library, without his consent.
And tell your King that we thank you to both of you for everything you've done for us, on behalf of the Prince of Peony and on behalf of me, too.
I apologize for wasting your time, now allow me to leave, have a safe day ahead.", Wang ZhuoCheng bowed and started to walk.

He walked no more than two steps, that he was grabbed by his wrist and turned around by Lord Liu HaiKuan, who pulled him against his chest:
"ChengCheng, why?"

But ZhuoCheng pulled himself out from his arms:
"Why what?
I already explained to you why we want to go back to the main palace .
Because Prince Xiao Zhan doesn't want to be a burden to your King anymore. Neither do I.
It was a bad idea from the start to stay here and..."

"I mean, why are you like this?"

"Like this? If I somehow broke the protocol in my wording or acting, I'm sorry, It truly was not my intention.
I apologize to Lord Liu HaiKuan.", ZhuoCheng bowed again and again.

"Just stop it!
You know very well what I am talking about!
I don't get why you are so cold towards me, I almost feel like you hate me, for some reason that 's beyond my understanding.
Forgive me if I've done something wrong, it was unwittingly for sure. Please ChengCheng...", HaiKuan tried again to take ZhuoCheng's hand on his own.

"Just, let's stop here! There's no need for any explanation! At least I don't need it.
I understood everything from that moment when you...
But let's stop here, as I already said!
And go, now, it's getting late and you have a busy day."'

"From that moment?
What moment, for heaven's sake?
Please, ChengCheng, I deserve to know what's going on.
Was I just a pathetic idiot who got all the signals wrongly, and just imagined that there even were some signals?", HaiKuan, stubbornly refused to release ZhuoCheng's hand.

But ZhuoCheng slapped his hand away and pushed him away from his close proximity:
"Oh, Kuan Ge, cut it off!
Stay away from me and stop touching me!
First of all, I hate how your beloved King has hurt my pure and dearest Beauty. You love your King and I love my Prince. Your King and my Prince are kinda enemies, therefore we are...ring the bell to you?
And it's not only about that, but.
Signals you say?
It was a clear signal to me when I tried to kiss you and you pushed me like I was a disgusting rotten apple!
Now, leave me alone and I'm begging you to keep your distance from now on! "

"Stop walking again from me and let me explain, ChengCheng!
You did the same at that moment, you ran away and never allowed me to explain myself!
Please..."

But Wang ZhuoCheng couldn't hear him anymore...