07 The eyes

~Still Beauty's POV~

The forest was pitch dark indeed, matching perfectly with my soul.
I have no idea for how long we were riding, maybe for hours, when I was distracted from my deep, dark thoughts by my friend's powerful shout, asking me to stop.

I had no time to ask him why, but a chaos was triggered...
What a?!

I don't know anymore what I heard first: Chiang Cheng shouting at me to stop, my horse's terrified neigh, the scary animalistic howl giving me shivers through my whole body, the desperate human voice screaming "No! Your highness, no!", or the overly loud gunshots exploding only a few inches by my deafened ears?

I quickly placed an arrow in my bow and squinted my eyes, trying to spot the possible enemy target, at the pale moon's low light.

I freaked out at two satanic shining eyes, watching me from the darkness.
I don't even know what I saw, red eyes shining in the dark green-yellowish forest, or they were spooky green-yellowish eyes glowing in the red forest.
My arm trembled like a leaf on the bow, but I still managed somehow to launch an arrow in the eyes's direction.

A huge shadow moved, staggered, then dropped to the ground, while a devilish growl coming from the bottom of the hell, raised my hair straight up into the air.
I watched in horror the massive shadow standing up after a few moments and blocking slowly the moonlight.
But at least the shadow didn't walk towards me, but crouched down and picked something or someone from the ground, then merged slowly with the darkness of the forest.

"Chiang Cheng, are you alright, where are you?", I whispered, dismounting the horse, extremely worried when I didn't spot his horse anywhere in the sight.

"I'm here, my horse got scared and ran away.
I have no idea about how many did attack us, but I'm sure that I got at least two of them.
One is lying dead, down here, come closer.
But Beauty, your voice sounds strangled, are you okay?
I hope you are not wounded or something.", the adviser asked in a worried tone, hugging me and checking me out from any possible wounds.