chapter 23 : costuming

"No! No! No!" I screamed, waking myself up from my nightmare.

I looked around my dark room. Nobody was here and it was quiet. I probably had woken up a few others in 13, but I didn't care.

I got up from my bed, thinking what to do. I didn't feel like it was good to stay in my bed. I felt scared, alone.

I walked over to Finnick's room quietly, trying my best to not wake up anyone else.

Finnick was sat up right in his bed, staring into nothing.

"What are you doing up?" Finnick asked almost as soon as I stepped foot into his room.

"Had a nightmare." I said awkwardly.

"Oh."

"Could I stay in here tonight?" I asked, quickly cutting to the chase.

"Oh- uhm- yeah, yeah, sure." Finnick stammered as he scooted over on the bed.

I climbed in next to him, laying down right beside his arm. I felt safe and secure, not wanting to leave.

Finnick wrapped an arm around my body, holding me close to his chest. "Don't worry, I'm not going anywhere."

- - - -

I woke up the next morning, very close to Finnick. I got up slowly, doing my best to not wake him. 

Katniss had scheduled a meeting with us and President Coin and Plutarch.

"Thank you for agreeing to meet with me." Katniss said. "I've decided I'll be your Mockingjay. But I have some conditions.

The brunette grabbed a folded sheet of paper out of her pocket, beginning to read a list of what she wanted.

"Peeta and Johanna Mason, will be rescued at the earliest opportunity. If and when Peeta is liberated, he will receive a full and unconditional pardon. No punishment will be inflicted." Katniss stated. "And the same goes for the other Tributes."

None of us spoke for a moment. "No." Coin said.

"It's not their fault you abandoned them in the arena." Katniss shot. "They're doing and saying whatever they can to survive."

"Individuals don't make demands in 13." Coin stated. "There will be a tribunal. And a fair judgement. Thank you."

"The Victors will be granted immunity. And you will announce that in front of the entire population of 13." Katniss expressed. "You will hold yourself and your government responsible or you will find another Mockingjay and Dove."

"That's it. That's her. Right there." Plutarch interrupted. "Isn't that who I promised you? They're polar opposites. Just what we need. They both have the same desire for Panem though."

Katniss and I stared at Plutarch and Coin in shock.

"They wear the costumes. Gunfire in the background. A hint of smoke. Our Mockingjay and Dove." Plutarch said. "Madam President, we're losing ground, because the people are losing heart. This is worth the risk. They are worth the risk." Plutarch continued to ramble around random things, basically forgetting Katniss and I were in front of him.

Coin stared back at Katniss, a large smile on her face. Yet it didn't look one bit real.

"Do you have any other conditions?" Coin asked.

Katniss checked her paper. "My sister gets to keep her cat."

- - - -

That night, we all went back again to the cafeteria. Except this time, a new person sat at our table.