chapter 22 : back to 12

I knocked on the window of Finnick's room before walking in.

"Hey." I said. 

He looked up at me, his face had a wide range of emotion. I couldn't tell how he was feeling.

"Hey." He finally spoke. 

I walked over to him sitting on the edge of his bed.

"I just wanted to check in, say i'm sorry." I said to the blond.

"Why are you sorry?" Finnick asked.

"I totally just stormed out earlier, I didn't even get to check if you're okay." I said.

Finnick didn't speak for a moment. I grew worried. Did I mess up? "I'll give you some time alone, I'm headed to District 12 with Katniss." I gave him a tight lipped smile before walking out of his room.

- - - -

I walked with Katniss and Officer Boggs to the large aircraft. As soon as Katniss saw Gale, who was a boy from District 12, she ran up to him, engulfing him in a large hug.

For being so deeply in love with Peeta, this was quite odd.

"I can't believe you're going through with this." Gale said to Katniss. "You can say no."

"I need to see it for myself." Katniss said to the brunette.

"This way." Bogg's said, motioning towards the open aircraft.

I followed in after Katniss and Gale. The door from the aircraft closed quickly after.

- - - -

"13 swept everything, top to bottom, so you guys will be safe." Gale said to Katniss and I. "You sure you don't want me to go with you?"

"Yeah. We're sure." Katniss said, speaking for the two of us.

"We'll have our eyes on you guys from above." Gale said, allowing Katniss and I to walk down.

The two of us walked down the ramp. I looked around at our surroundings. All of District 12 was crumbled and thrown into large piles.

"I haven't been here in years." I said first. 

"Yeah, it's definitely changed a lot." She said as we walked through the rubble and debris.

As we made our way up a small hill, I heard a crack as I placed my foot on the floor. Moving my foot from the spot, a skull was revealed.

Katniss and I gasped loudly at what we had seen. I couldn't believe it.

We continued up the slope. Katniss first. She let out a loud gasp as she made her way up.

"What do you see up there?" I questioned.

She didn't respond. Or turn around. Instead, she stood staring down.

I made it up to where she stood. Looking at the ground ahead of us. Decomposed bodies which were now bones were scattered into large piles.

My body shook and my eyes began to water. The air stopped going into my lungs. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. I collapsed onto the floor and I felt Katniss do the same as well.

- - - -

Katniss and I made our way to Victor's Village. The grass was dead and the trees no longer had leaves.

"That was my house." I said, pointing to a dark blueish grey house.

"Nobody lived their other than you." Katniss said to me.

I followed her into another house that looked almost identical to my old one. The house looked untouched as we went in. 

It was dark and dim in the house. But Katniss lead us through, observing each and every corner of the house.