chapter 9 : the end of everything

A hovercraft picked us up. Specifically the hovercraft I had seen pick up every other dead body that had been killed. 

- - - -

"You did good" Haymitch said as he gave me a side hug.

"I couldn't have done it without Atticus, Clio, and Finnick." I said with a sigh.

I was tired, exhausted, but it was nice being able to talk to someone I was familiar with.

- - - -

The days flew by quickly. I couldn't wait for the day I got home, but the feeling that I was never really leaving the Capitol yearned on me. 

Before I could return back to District 12, I had to complete another interview with Caesar Flickerman, but this time it would include Finnick as well.

I didn't miss the people dressed in overly obnoxious outfits and colors. I didn't miss the bright lights or the loud crowds.

Cinna had dressed me in a light purple dress that was off the shoulders. No flames, no rhinestones, nothing. I was supposed to be perceived as innocent tonight.

- - - -

"When you separated yourself from the other Careers to be with, Y/N, how did that make you feel?" Caesar asked Finnick.

"I always thought of her as pretty. Couldn't let her pretty face die. I had to be with her." Finnick said as he gave a wink to the crowd. They all let out 'aws'.

I laughed awkwardly. I knew Finnick was acting, but it didn't help. I hated him and his stupid smirks. Even if he helped me survive in the games.

"And, Y/N, the audience would like to know, did you feel safe and comfortable that night that Finnick had asked you to sleep near him?" Caesar asked, putting all the attention on me.

I gave a sweet laugh, "If I'm being honest, I thought Finnick had plans to kill me. Luckily he didn't. He was the opposite of evil."

I paid no attention to the rest of the interview. Finnick answered more questions either way. The Capitol loved him. He was like their treasure. 

"Ladies and gentlemen, the enemies from District 4 and District 12, this years victors of the 65th annual Hunger Games!" Caesar exclaimed as the crowd went wild.

We transitioned to the large arena that we had the parade in. Finnick and I stood high above the rest. Snow came as well, putting golden crowns on our heads.

"Congratulations" Snow said with no emotion whatsoever.

"Thank you"

He moved my hair, revealing the necklace my mother had given me.

"What a lovely necklace."

"Thank you, it's from my district" I responded.

"They must be very proud of you"

- - - -

Finnick and I took two separate train's back home. He joined his escort and mentor, while I joined Effie and Haymitch.

It felt odd. Being by myself. I wasn't really alone. I had Effie and Haymitch, but it wasn't the same. The feeling of not having a friend. I wasn't even close with Atticus, I had met him only a few times before the games, yet from being in the arena, it felt like I knew him forever. Like I could trust him with my life.

I stayed in the very back of the train through the journey home. The large dome shaped window brought a sense of comfort to me. It brought in the dim light from the cloudy and rainy world. 

"Oh, Y/N dear, that's where you've gone!" Effie's enthusiastic voice said as she brought me out of my trance.

"Hi, Effie" I responded waving at her. 

She walked over to me, sitting on the cushioned seats. 

"So, there has been a change of plans..." Effie said, her face turning sincere.

"What do you mean?" I questioned.

"Uhm, well. You're going to have to move after the Victory Tour" Effie said to me.

I looked at her, bewildered. Why was I going to leave my family and friends?

"What?" I asked.

"It's the Capitol. They want the Victors with one another. You'll be okay though. District 4 is very rich, they have good food. You'll be staying in Victor's Village with Finnick. But..." She rambled.

"But what?"

"Oh, Y/N, how much I'll miss being your escort" She said as she hugged me tightly.

"Effie, you're always going to be my escort. How could I forget about you?"

- - - -

District 12 hadn't changed one bit. Everyone crowded around me as I got out of the train. Surprisingly, my mother had been moved to Victor's Village with the help of some Peacekeepers. 

She cried tears of joy as she saw me walk through the doors. I basically toppled over with the impact of the hug. 

- - - -

Months and months went by. Almost every night I woke up screaming from nightmares. Nightmares of being chased through the night by Careers. Or nightmares of the people I had killed.

I never intended to kill in the games, but I wanted to live.

I watched the news sometimes, seeing Finnick being broadcasted. Hearing about him working in the Capitol. I wondered how he was doing sometimes, but I knew that him and I were now on our separate paths. And how it was all an act.

Until we would meet again.

 A/N : THIS IS NOT THE END OF THE BOOK!!! the title for this chapter just seemed right. ALSO i'm so sorry this chapter is a lot shorter than the others 😭

thank you thank you so much for all the reads, votes, and comments :) they mean a lot <3