chapter 8 : the people you kill

Tiberus was the first kid I had ever killed. It pained me a little bit. I didn't like killing. He was also 17. 

I dragged Finnick back to the little cave that we had found the night before. There was more light in it because the sun was shining in.

Finnick kept groaning in pain every couple of minutes as we sat in the cave. I didn't want to take out the knife just yet, but I knew I had to.

"Okay, it's going to hurt like hell but it'll be okay" I reassured the blond as i began pulling out the knife slowly.

"Goddamnit hurry up and pull it out." Finnick groaned in pain. 

I did as I was told, pulling the blade out quickly and dropping it onto the floor to clean up later. I ripped off the sleeve of my leotard, tying it around the gash in Finnicks arm.

"There, we'll switch it out later." I said to him, giving him the smallest smile.

"That's the first time I've seen you give me a genuine smile" He smirked, going back into his normal Finnick state.

"Don't make me regret saving your arm" I replied, scooting over to grab the knife.

The knife was much larger than mine and it had a nice handle. I observed the blade, wiping away Finnick's blood from it. The blade was sharp and light, easy to throw.

Something dropping was heard from outside, making me walk out of the hideout. A metal circular container attached to a parachute sat outside of the cave. I grabbed it instantly realizing it was a gift from a sponsor.

Inside, it contained a cream of sorts along with bandages.

Use it on lover boy
-H

"Shut up, Haymitch. But thank you" I said aloud, knowing there were cameras watching me.

I ran back inside quickly to see Finnick already staring at me.

"What's that" He asked skeptically.

"Haymitch gave it. It's for your arm" I said, unravelling the makeshift bandage I had made.

I grabbed a large scoop of the cream, plopping it onto the gash. Finnick hissed in pain, but I ignored him, knowing that this would help his injury. After countless of curses from Finnick's mouth, I was able to wrap his wound in an actual bandage.

"Feel better?" I asked.

"Yes, lot's better." He responded.

- - - -

I stayed awake over the night, letting Finnick rest. A rain had poured down, and I stuck my hand in the rain, hoping it would cool me down. I was wrong.

The rain felt like acid as it touched my skin, burning the layers of my skin and blistering it. I ran to grab the ointment, soothing the sensation.

 I waited for the sound of cannons, but none seemed to go off, meaning there were still seven of us left. 

Morning came quicker than I anticipated as an announcement was made.

"Hello Tributes. There has been a slight modification in the rules for this years 65th Hunger Games. There will be two victors from any District. It must be one female one male. May the odds be ever in your favor."

My eyes lit up in surprise with the words. I wouldn't say I liked Finnick, but I hated him less than the other Tributes that attempted to rip my throat out.

"Finnick! Finnick!" I exclaimed as I shook the boy awake.

"What?" He asked, already getting up.

"There can be two victors." I said excitedly.

He too was surprised at what I said as he engulfed me in a hug. I wasn't sure why, but I allowed for the awkward hug.

- - - -

"You know what I'm thinking?" Finnick asked me as we began our hunt for food.

"No, what are you thinking?" I questioned.

"I think I want to kill some Care- Y/N! Behind you!" Finnick screamed as I shot my head back, throwing my dagger. 

I barely even looked at who was behind me, but as their body fell with a bow and quiver, I realized it to be a boy who looked to be 15. He was from District 5.

The dagger had landed perfectly into his heart.

"You have good aim" Finnick said to me, bringing me out of my trance as he grabbed the dagger from the boys chest.

"Thanks." Was all I could mutter out.

- - - -

I agreed going to the Cornucopia would be our best option. I didn't care if I would die, I just wanted to leave this hell hole. I had enough of the Capitol's games.

Finnick and I waited til it was night for us to sneak up on the Careers. I watched as the two girls walked through the forest. Finnick would get the boy from District 1 and the girl from District 4, as I was left with the two girls. 

They were laughing and having a joyful conversation, both of them not even feeling my presence. I wanted that type of relationship with a girl. But they took that from me. 

I don't know what got into me, but I threw a dagger towards the girl from District 2 one right in the back. She toppled to the floor as the girl from District 1 fell to see what was wrong with her friend.

There were muffled cries from the both before a loud cannon sounded. I came out of my hiding spot, revealing myself to the girl from District 2. Her face was filled with rage as she came at me, swinging a small knife at me. I toppled to the floor as she threw her body at me.

"What's stopping me from killing you!" She shouted as we rolled on the floor. I tried kicking her off but she wouldn't budge.

"You little-!" She yelled, but I stabbed her in the neck. Her face grew soft and her body grew limp on top of mine.

"I'm sorry..." I said to the two girls, before running to the Cornucopia.

I looked to see Finnick battling out the boy. I began running towards the two as I was thrown to the floor with such force that it knocked the air out of me for a minute. My head spun as I looked around at my surroundings. 

I was thrown yet again, this time facing a girl with pretty blond hair. 

"Let's make this fair, girly" She said in a threatening tone.

She swung at me with her dagger, almost hitting me a few times. Each time I attempted to get away, it was only by a few inches.

We rolled around in the grass as she still stayed on top of me, not letting me go. She grabbed my arm, tracing words into it. 

"Finnick!" I screamed through tears. 

I grabbed my dagger, stabbing the young girl in the neck. I hated killing, but I couldn't be killed, not now.

I got up as I looked at my arm. She had been tracing mine and Finnick's name. Finnick stood a few feet away in horror as he saw the blood dripping from my arm. The District 1 boy was nowhere to be found. Had we done it? Had we won?

Finnick ran to me quickly, engulfing me in a bone crushing hug.

"I couldn't have won this with anyone else. Even if we just met" He mumbled into my hair.

"Ladies and gentlemen, may I present the winners of the 65th Annual Hunger Games" A voice said over a speaker.

"Oh my god" I breathed out as I looked up to Finnick. 

We had won the 65th Hunger Games.