chapter 1 : reaping and screaming

The day of the Reaping. Everyone hated it. District 12 seemed quieter today as everyone minded their own business before heading to the Hall of Justice.

"Y/N! Come on! You're going to be late for the Reaping" My mother called out to me from inside our home. 

"Coming!" 

As I walked in, I noticed a clean light blue dress laying on the table. 

"Take a shower and then put it on." My mother said as she pushed it in front of me. I sighed loudly, taking the dress and walking to the bathroom.

- - - -

I sat on the floor as she began pulling my hair, putting it into a neat and tight braid.

"Ow!" I exclaimed as I could feel her practically pulling my hair out.

"I'm sorry, I just don't want it to fall out." My mother replied, continuing the easier part of the braid.

I noticed her sniffling as she continued the braid. "What's wrong?" I asked, looking up at her.

"Oh you're just too young to be doing this. You're only 13. What if your name does get picked?" She asked, worry lacing her voice.

"I won't."

Once she was finished I got up to look at myself in the mirror. Every year we had one day where we looked clean and well put together. That was the day of the Reaping.

I walked with my mother through the crowds of people, having to be separated once I saw the lines of people.

I stood in line waiting to be in the front. I wouldn't say I was scared, but I was nervous. The anticipation maybe?

"Next" The voice called out, bringing me back to the world.

I walked up to the table, holding out my hand for them to take. They grabbed a needle, pricking my pointer finger. It wasn't the best feeling in the world, but it didn't last long. I watched as the blood began to bubble up to the top as they placed it onto the piece of paper, scanning it to make sure it was my blood.

The boys and the girls were separated, the girls being on the right and the boys being on the left. I stood near the middle, not wanting to catch attention.

A lady stepped out in front of everyone once all the kids had gathered. She tapped the mic before talking. "Welcome! Welcome, welcome." 

She sure was happy. Her hair was platinum blonde in a large puffy bun. Her skin was pale and her makeup was dramatic, but her whole outfit seemed to fit together. Everything was the same shade of green. Specifically a bright mint green.

"Happy Hunger Games!" She begun, "And may the odds be ever in your favor."

Her smile seemed to grow bigger, yet I couldn't tell if it was fake. No one smiled back, everyone scared of when the names would be called.

"Now, before we begin, we have a very special film. Brought to you all the way from the Capitol!"

As she finished her sentence, a loud song began to play. I blocked it out as I began to think about the what if's.

What if I did get called? How would I survive? I knew how to use a bow and arrow, but I hadn't used one in awhile. I never got the chance to go out and use it because I had to help at home.

"I just love that!" The lady's voice said, bringing me out of my daze. Yet this time, her voice seemed more airy, like she wasn't as happy as she portrayed.

The video was still playing as she began to speak again, but it ended moments after. "Now, the time has come for us to select one courageous young man and woman. For the honor of representing District 12 in the 65th Annual Hunger Games."