chapter 17 : alliance at shore

The mutts growled at us as they swung throughout the trees. I pulled Peeta towards us as quick and smoothly as I could.

"Y/N, come here." Finnick said as he pulled me behind him.

"Get to the beach." Katniss ordered.

I let out a loud grunt as I shot my spear into one of the monkeys. It was running straight at Katniss.

One shot seemed to have set the mutts into a frenzy as now, they began closing in on us even more, coming at our throats.

I looked once more at the Cornucopia through the branches. Everyone else seemed to be fighting their own mutt.

"Y/N! Watch out!" Finnick screamed. I turned my head back and a mutt rain striaght at me, jumping on me making me fall straight. into the water

It attempted to bite me in the water as I thrashed. It let out a low growl, growing limp onto my body.

A pair of strong arms grabbed me under the water, pushing me up to the surface.

"We gotta get to the beach!" Peeta yelled as Finnick held onto my hand, leading me behind Peeta and Katniss.

The mutts seemed to come at us, all of them jumping into our ways as we ran through the trees.

A mutt had pushed all of us off of a large log, knocking all of us apart from one another. I watched as it cornered Peeta, his back stuck to a tree trunk.

Suddenly, a figure jumped out of the trees, jumping onto the mutt. They tackled it to the ground as Peeta stabbed the mutt in the side.

I grabbed my spear, seeing a mutt going at Katniss. I let out a grunt as I stabbed the mutt.

"Who is that?" Katniss asked as the figure lay on the ground.

"A morphling! Help me get her!" Peeta ordered.

Finnick and I swung our weapons at the mutts, trying to spare time for Katniss and Peeta.

"Finnick, come on!" I yelled as I saw Peeta and Katniss walk off with the morphling.

I grabbed onto his hand, leading him towards the shore. Luckily for us the shore wasn't far from where we were, but the mutts were close behind us.

Finnick and I dived into the coast as the mutts had stopped just at the bushes. They growled and showed their fangs to us.

A cannon fired, signaling that the morphling that had saved Peeta's life. I watched as the blond gently let the girl float in the water.

The mutts retreated back into their hideout. 

I looked around into the arena. It was beautiful, even if we might get killed. The sky was had a beautiul sunrise. Blue, white, and orange. A hovercraft came down, collecting the morphlings body.

 I sat in the sand as Peeta and Katniss had their own conversation. Finnick stood knee deep in the water, fishing for food.

- - - -

We sat on the sand, eating a fish that Finnick had caught. It tasted delicious as our first bit of food in awhile. Peeta had managed to catch a clam as well.

He opened the clam, revealing a gorgeous deep grey pearl inside.

"Look. For you." Peeta said, handing the pearl to Katniss.

She looked down at the pearl, twirling it around in her hand. "Thank you." 

A woman began screaming in the distance. Out of reflex, I grabbed ahold of my spear, standing up before anyone else could.