Chapter 13: Underground

The lighting was much brighter in the mine area than in the tunnels that led there and provided daylight conditions although it did not glare as it did under the sunlight. The temperature was surprisingly cool and nice at probably twenty degrees Celsius.

"This underground mine is about 2,500 metres above sea level. Unlike what common people might imagine when they hear underground, we're not actually below the houses in Tembagapura. In fact, we're higher. We're under the ground of the mountain. Grasberg pit is somewhere above us at the moment, Mr AB."

"The air is not as thin as I expected. How's the ventilation system, Mr Nahuway?" AB asked.

"Our system automatically monitors the number of people, vehicles, and machinery going underground and adjusts the volume of oxygen distributed from the openings we made on the side of the mountain, Mr AB."

"How does the system monitor when there are new people like us going inside this mine?"

"We use real-time locating systems supported by 5G, Mr Sinha. Do you remember that you scanned your ID card earlier before entering the AB tunnel? That scanner recorded your name, badge ID, and the time of the scan and then sent the data to the server. The server tracks your location in real-time and calculates the oxygen."

"Is the remote control system also using 5G?"

"Yes, Mr AB, along with the autonomous system. It's very reliable for the digitalisation of the mining process. That's why we are confident that automatic underground mining is our future."

"Is an underground mine always this wet?" Shotty said in disgust as if the mud touched his skin when, in reality, it only made the sole of his boots wet.

"In some parts, yes, Mr Sinha. There's a lot of water reserve between these rocks, especially because, as you know, this area has high annual precipitation. But the water is a blessing for us because we can use it for the milling process."

"So, the water is channelled to the mills?"

"Right, Mr Kapoor. We also use this water and purify it for underground drinking stations."

Mr Nahuway took them to enter an office where some workers were doing behind-the-desk work with monitors and communicators. On its wall, there was a huge map of the mine.

"This is the scheme of our ventilation, escape route, and water channels, Mr AB."

"There's a refuge chamber near here," AB said while he was observing the map.

"Indeed, Mr AB. Would you like to see it?"

"If it's possible, Mr Nahuway."

They continued their visit to the refuge chamber on foot. Soon, they saw a solid steel door with two rotating handles, a porthole, and strobe lights at the top of it. Mr Nahuway turned the double-locking handles to open the door and it opened up to an empty chamber filled with many tables, chairs, and oxygen tanks. They all went inside the bright elongated chamber.

"How many workers can go into this chamber, Mr Nahuway?"

"The capacity is for five hundred people, Mr Kapoor. This is the largest permanent refuge chamber in the world at the moment. It won't be for long, though."

"The company's tearing it down?" Shotty asked.

Mr Nahuway smiled. "No, Mr Sinha. We're building a bigger one near the AB tunnel with a capacity of six hundred people."

"How many permanent chambers are there?"

"There are four more permanent chambers. Three have a capacity of three hundred and one has a capacity of two hundred. We also have many portable chambers spread around which can take twenty-six people."