𝓞𝓷𝓮

Song of the chapter: evermore- Taylor Swift

11 MONTHS AFTER THE MURDER

Empty. Winter Morais was empty. No amount of expensive makeup or designer clothing and accessories can hide a secret that big. Emotionless. She was that, too. No matter how many salty tears fell from her eyes, she didn't feel the sorrow she feigned. She couldn't. Not even losing her best friend in such awful circumstances could make her feel anything. Winter was just as cold as her name would suggest. Well, that wasn't the whole truth. Only one person could warm her frozen heart just a little, and he just happened to be her dead best friend's boyfriend.

The familiar *click-clack* of her heels calmed down her nerves just a little. As she looked at herself in the bathroom mirror, she realised she was just as fragile on the inside as she appeared on the outside. She looked just like a garden flower-soft, delicate features that made her seem innocent, but just like a rose, she had thorns.

She walked the lonely halls, desperate for attention. Despite the fact that she was terrified of being found out, she still craved that attention that led her to being seated on the throne of the school. She was the ruler of this place, sat high above everyone else on her throne made of blood she had shed and bones she'd cut fresh from her victims. Each malicious attack more lethal than the last, yet everyone still thought of her as an angel. The sweetest most pure angel that stood miles above them wasn't so pure after all.

Everyone had secrets and Winter was no different. She just kept them under lock and key. Her mind was a maze and if you had ever tried to make your way through it, you were never getting out of it ever again. But of course, not everyone knew that. Not everyone wanted to. They never thought of her as anything shy of perfect. Her blonde hair curling perfectly into little ringlets at the ends, swaying and bouncing beautifully as she walked. Her stone eyes more treacherous yet gorgeous than any view of a mountain or valley could offer. Her skin seeming to never wrinkle or have any blemish at any time. Her slim figure being hugged by any outfit she wore. Indeed, she was perfect, but only to look at.

Her secrets were darker than any cavern. They were twisted and malevolent in manner. She'd do anything to get to the top and nothing would stop her. Except for losing Scarlett. Just that seemed to rock the very foundations of the heavens she built, though she'd never admit it. The rocking of these heavens was enough to make her weak. Weak enough that Carly Brager came and took her throne momentarily. But just like the little angel she wasn't, she stole it back, right out of Carly's hands.

When Carly ruled, her throne wasn't made of bones but instead diamonds from her father. Every spoiled brat got money and fame from their fathers and Carly was no different. Winter was set on proving it. That was the downfall of Carly. Now instead of seeing her as an angel like they see Winter, they see her as a spoiled brat. She's not as bad as they say, though. She's not evil like Winter. She was just not raised right. Some wrongs can be fixed, unlike pure evil. Evil comes from the soul. Being spoiled comes from one's childhood. It's much easier to build up a broken person than it is to kill someone's soul in the name of good. Good isn't for everyone.

Carly's reign fell short but maybe it was for the best. Maybe evil was made to rule these halls, stalking her victims. And maybe the guilt and sorrow were made to eat her alive. Every step felt like shards of glass entering her foot. And every word felt like poison in her throat. Maybe it was for the best that Winter was being killed inside but forced to hide it.

This parasite had been there for so long that she no longer felt most things. Just a little bit of love, a flicker of a flame in the dark, and the emptiness that surrounded the flame. The empty. That's what she called it. The empty would make her numb but force her to swallow the pain like a bitter pill.

And all she could feel was this emptiness inside of her. Days and months blurred together. Soon enough it was nearly a year since Scarlett had died.

Empty. Losing your best friend will carve out your ability to feel anything, leaving you with this vast, dark space where your life force used to be. It was a darkness Winter had dealt with for far too long and she was ready to do something about it. She headed straight for Pierce, no longer caring if that flame died.

~~~~~~

Winter remembered when the police took her into questioning for the first time. The grey room was dim as she answered the officer's queries, each "new" question a rephrased version of a previous question. "Did you have anything to do with Miss Adair's murder?" "No, of course not..." "Did you keep any secrets from her?" "No, she was my best friend. We told each other everything..." Of course, the officer didn't always believe her. What teenager doesn't keep secrets? If only he knew that his next interviewee, Pierce Ogden, Scarlett's boyfriend, had been sleeping with Winter since three months before her murder.

"Is there anything else?" "Yes, Miss. Do you know of anyone with a motive to harm Miss Adair?" "No, she was loved. Even her worst enemies wouldn't do this. She was too sweet," "Enemies?" "Well I don't know....there were a few people she disagreed with," "Can you tell me the names of these people and what exactly the issues were?" The interview continued for what felt like days, even though it was more likely to be a couple of hours.

No matter how long it was, it was hell. At least for Winter. She couldn't wait to burst through the door in the front of the station and feel the sunlight on her pale skin. Maybe Pierce would be waiting for her and his interview and would scoop her into a comforting embrace. Maybe he'd tell her everything would be okay. Or maybe he was simply a figment of her imagination. Either he didn't exist or didn't care for her the way she thought. She didn't know, and frankly, she didn't care. He was her light and even if he was simply an electric candle and not a real one, still provided that warmth and light. That was all that she cared for.

"So Miss Morais, do you know Mr. Ogden?" Winter gulped. "Yes, he is-was Scarlett's boyfriend. She hoped the look on her face wouldn't betray her. "Do you know much about what their relationship was like or the dynamic of it?" She shook her head. "Not really. They seemed happy, though." That was a lie. According to Scarlett, Pierce was cold, and according to Pierce, the opposite was true. He told Winter that Scarlett often left him by himself and that loneliness led him to her.

"What about Miss Garguilo? I've heard they were friends..." "Oh, uhm Everly? I didn't even know they really knew each other?" "Is that so?" Winter nodded. As the detective wrote down some notes, Winter took the opportunity to survey the room for the 100th time. Nothing had changed. Of course, it hadn't.

After a while, the interview was over. And just as Winter imagined, she burst through the main door and was met with the glimmering sunshine and a calm warmth dancing on her skin. She looked around for Pierce, but he was nowhere to be seen.

~~~~~~

Pierce. She needed to find him. She needed to know how he felt and what would happen to them. She walked as quickly as possible to the hallway where his locker was located. Passing by many students and teachers, she didn't bother paying any attention to anyone else. She needed him.

"PIERCE!" She yelled as soon as she reached her destination. He grabbed her by the hand and pulled her aside. As she looked at him, she was met with a familiar playful smile and a glimmer in his eyes. "Hello, Winter,"

 "Hello, Winter,"